HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyj7175

Tire Pressure...

7 posts in this topic

Okay, I guess I've been out of the loop too long....what's a good front/rear tire pressure for desert terrain/dual sport....??? I've already ordered some DOT tires and plan on putting in some Moose HD tubes...

I run 15 to 17 psi in sandy desert conditions and a little more if pounding rocks to avoid pinches, don't know what type of bike you use but this works well on the XR 600. Good luck

I agree with Wilson, but you can increase the pressure to 20-25 for road/hard surfaces, especially if you ride a larger,heavier bike.

I run 16 in the front and 15 in the rear for almost all conditions. Do you spend a lot of time on the street? If not, I wouldn't even bother with DOT legal tires. At best, they're marginal.

My father and i run 13 front and rear for the most part. I really like the feel of 11.5 to 12 in the front but i tend to crack a lot of front rims at this pressure.

On big bore bikes we run 18-20 in the front and 15-18 in the rear with 140-80x18 and 120/100x18's on the rear. If your riding mostly slow speeds you can go a little lower. The rocks are the tire and rim killers at speed.

Slime works for nails and cactus but just makes a mess with rim pinches.