Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyj7175

Want a new pipe...which one?

10 posts in this topic

Okay maybe it's just that I've been on a two week spending spree, but I went out riding with some buddies today, and made the decision that I would like to get a new pipe. I already have the HRC tip in my stock exhaust , thinking that it would be plenty loud,but it doesn't quite have that authoritative 'roar' that I hear on other bikes.

I would like to retain a spark arrestor if possible....

So how does the Big Gun and FMF stack up against one another....how's the sound?

I know this has probably been discussed already about a hundred times,but maybe somebody has something new to add?

Yo BillyJ! I can personally vouch for the FMF "Q" Pipe for the XR650L...Spark-arrested, fits great, excellent sound with plenty of THUMP to keep u smilin'!! Just installed it on an '02 this week...$299 at Baja Designs.

Regarding wich pipe, for the xr 650 r,I recently purchased a white brothers r4 silencer with the "S"bend with the stock headers, my bike has the HRC power up kit and is" emission free". The first impression was a noticable loss of low end power, it did not have the low end grunt that the stock pipe with the HRC insert has, It seemed to rev longer in each gear but it was not worth the loss of low end. As far as sound it was a little louder at high rpm then the HRC insert.I was able to compare it to my brothers xr650r wich is the same as mine with the HRC power up kit and no CA emissions,so I could ride each bike back to back and feel the difference and it was dramatic I was not happy! I have since sold the white bros R4 pipe to somone else.This is not to "bash" white bros the fit and finish of the pipe was excellent.I have concluded that the stock pipe with the HRC insert is the best for low end performance.

xcar

01 xr650r,EBC over size front brake,47kg fork springs,HRC power up kit.

Billy, I use the ProCircuit T-4, it comes with a

spark arrestor and is a good pipe for the money.

You won't be sorry. :)

I had an R4 too, and experienced the same lazy low end power and response that xcar described. Maybe a touch more on top, but not worth losing the low end. I went back to using the stock pipe with a gutted out insert. I ordered an E-Series recently. Based on the dyno chart I saw, it looks as if there is no power loss anywhere in the RPM's. The pipe should be here Monday or Tuesday, I'll post a review.

I too am on the lookout for a new pipe/system but so many of them lose the awesome bottom end torque and just increase the top end power so be careful.

Originally posted by billyj7175:

Turner: are you running the complete pipe, or just the muffler? How does the power compare to the stocker w/hrc tip? How's the sound?

No not the complete system, just the back half.

Power is allot better, REV's quicker, comes on harder, it was worth the money, as for sound, I put the 1.5 inch end cap on it for the sound level. It comes with a 1 3/4 inch. It's a touch louder then the supercrap was. :)

Originally posted by billyj7175:

Okay maybe it's just that I've been on a two week spending spree, but I went out riding with some buddies today, and made the decision that I would like to get a new pipe. I already have the HRC tip in my stock exhaust , thinking that it would be plenty loud,but it doesn't quite have that authoritative 'roar' that I hear on other bikes.

I would like to retain a spark arrestor if possible....

So how does the Big Gun and FMF stack up against one another....how's the sound?

I know this has probably been discussed already about a hundred times,but maybe somebody has something new to add?

I have run almost every pipe on the market on this bike, spending over $1500 (at a discount!), so I feel qualified to share (what I call) the bottom line facts.

1) Any headpipe on the 650R other that's at all fatter than the stocker will rob bottom end torque. Period. So, if you don't want to lose ANY bottom end DON'T mess with the head pipe!

2) All aftermarket pipes increase HORSEPOWER but the majority do it at the expense of LOST torque (this is why pipe shootouts in magazines ALWAYS show horsepower and RARELY show torque!). Remember, magazines make money SELLING ads NOT ARTICLES.

3) While the Pro Circuit T4 (Complete System) sheds a VERY IMPRESSIVE 5 pounds 6 ounces off the XR650R it robs bottom end but gives a dramatic increase in MID and TOP. If you don't mind the loss (low end) this is the pipe to go with (header pipe is real thin!).

4) If you want to actually GAIN horsepower and torque EVERYWHERE (no joke!) from right off idle to red line than there is only 1 pipe on the market to go with. This pipe is the original White Brothers E-Series with 12 discs (It tests out at 95db(s) under USFS regulations).

Unfortunately, I don't remember the weight specs on this pipe but it's not very impressive as far as weight loss.

Hope this helps. If you need more info on pipes feel free to email me for my cell number.

jp70@cableone.net

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: jpeters ]