Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike_Hahn

Countershaft seals

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 XR650R that likes to blow countershaft seals once in a while. I heard there are new steel reinforced ones which last longer. Do the newer machines have different and improved seals that will fit my 2000? Anyone have a part #?

Try to find out why it is blowing seals. Make sure your crankcase vent is not plugged. If you are n=builind up pressure and it cannot escape, it will blow something out. This seal is the easiest one I know of to change. It would be a pitty to have another seal blow that is hard to get to.

Hows it goin I have a 2001 xr650 I have close to 10,000 dirt miles on it now mostly mexico hard core miles I have never blown the factory seal. My buddy with a 2000 had blown 3. I dont know the entire seal part number but the last numbrer is 2 the factory one on you bike ends with 1 he has not blown the new seal ending in 2. one big thing in these bikes use the right weight oil and DONT overfill it. The heavier oil will also blow the seal. The new seal will fit no problem but you will need a snap ring tool.

DO A SEARCH ON "BLOWN COUNTERSHAFT SEALS" A FEW MONTHS AGO-THERE IS A VALVE INSIDE THE CASES THAT CAN STICK,IF IT DOES THEN NO SEAL-NO EVEN THE "NEW" ONE WILL KEEP IT FROM BLOWING OUT-GOOD LUCK!