New guy question...13 tooth sprocket

I've always seen people put a 15 on becaues of the power. It had to get traction as it is with a 14. I ran a 13 on my 600 for the hills and 15 for the desert. It will make about a 8-10 mph difference on top end but more power on the low if you can use it with out wheel spin. Get a big fat 140/80-18 for it.

I just got my 02 XR650R about five weeks ago.After my 2nd or 3rd ride i bought a 13 tooth sprocket. But before installing it. I Installed the honda compitition manifold,needle,seat,jetting,and baffle.AKA uncorked it. I now seriously doubt I will ever install the 13 tooth sprocket. This thing has power unbelievable in any situation.

The main reason I use to change gear ratios is where I'm riding - tight single line trails up here in Northern Michigan need a 13 tooth sprocket. With a 14 tooth first gear revs too high and second gear goes too fast. With a 13 tooth you just stay in second. The BRP has the power to pull a 15 no problem. Gear for the track you ride.

I never rode the bike with all the CA jetting, manifold, exhaust...it all got changed the same day I brought it home from the dealer, including replacing the entire exhaust. The 13t would be for tight technical sections, but I was also worried about it being so small, how would the chain handle it. Thanks for all the good info, now I have a place to start.

I use a 13T in the front of a 600 for the tight woods that I ride in. If I use a 14, I cannot get the wheel speed slow enough to get traction on some really bad hills.

The 13 helps a lot as you are usually in 2nd gear most of the time riding. Also installing a 50 from the stock 48 out back on my 600 would help. Top speed is down about 15mph, but can still pull 80.

Here's some numbers to give you an approximate idea of the maximum speeds you'll get in each gear with the following sprocket combos. Please note these numbers are based on a maximum engine speed of 8,000 RPM among many other factors.

Gearing 13/48 14/48 15/48

MPH 1st....33.....35.....38

MPH 2nd...47.....51.....55

MPH 3rd....60.....65.....70

MPH 4th....75.....81.....87

MPH 5th....90.....97.....104

Gearing 14/50 14/51 14/52

MPH 1st....34.....33.....32

MPH 2nd...49.....48.....47

MPH 3rd....62.....61.....60

MPH 4th....78.....76.....75

MPH 5th....93.....91.....89

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: qadsan ]

Originally posted by loufish:

New guy...just picked up my 02' XR650r...

Has someone replaced their 14t for a 13t c/s sprocket? How much top end speed did you lose? Did you gain enough lower speed to make it worth it?

For tight trail riding some guys like the 13 tooth sprocket. Personally, I prefer the stock gearing. I have a brand new 13 tooth moose countershaft sprocket for $15.00 delivered priority mail if anyone is interested. My cell number is 928 848 0205 or email me at: jp70@cableone.net

Thanks

jay