Best XR650L Exhaust Modification

Hey 650L Riders! Am in the process of doing the air-filter, smog-removal, jetting-kit & exhaust upgrade to my 2002 XR650L. Any opinions on THE BEST exhaust option. I ordered the FMF slip-on with the rest of the upgrades from Baja Designs. I read on one site that there was fit problems with the FMF, but I thought that was with an entire pipe replacement(header & muffler). Am hoping the FMF is OK!! Any feedback or tips on any of these upgrades would be GREATLY appreciated..I'll post how things go when the stuff arrives....am looking forward to smooth 3rd gear wheelies!! RIDE ON BROTHERS!!!!!! Thanks! Big Jimi

I had fit problems with my 1995 XR600R with the FMF Q pipe. The problem was the rear attachment clamp not lining up properly. The performance and noise level were superb though.

I put the Thumper Racing insert on my 2001 XR650L. I liked it much more than the stock insert, but I don't have the other tips, etc to compare. Fit is excellent on the Thumper insert.

forget the pipe change the sprockets for more torque/woods and long wheelies. 14 teeth up front and 48 in rear . A world of difference. start wheelie in 2nd with clutch pop rolling slow , shift through 5th. without the sprocket change 4th and 5th die off quickly.

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: dan Rekito ]

Just put the Honda Power Up kit on it, The Exhaust pipe mod. works great, just pull 3 bolts and slide out the old and in the new silencer. The Bike responds well, just have to re-jet larger a bunch of jet sizes. The Bike runs so good another bike rider was asking what we done to it to make it so fast, Just the same mods. everyone else has done. The jetting is the KEY

We have a 178 main and might try a 180 + jet.

Bob J

Originally posted by dan Rekito:

forget the pipe change the sprockets for more torque/woods and long wheelies. 14 teeth up front and 48 in rear . A world of difference. start wheelie in 2nd with clutch pop rolling slow , shift through 5th. without the sprocket change 4th and 5th die off quickly.

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: dan Rekito ]

Forget that, just put the honda power up kit on shift to 4th and twist let your new found 55hp do all the work.