advice for riding on sand dunes

IM planning a trip to dumont dunes in early nov and was wondering if i could get away with riding without a paddle. plan on spending a small amount of time on the dunes themselves otherwise the rest of the time will be in desert. a friend of mine said that i will burn up my motor if i dont have a paddle. currently have a 01 xr650r uncorked with WB R4 exhuast. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If your not going to run a paddle, run at least a new IRC MB5 140/80 tire or a Tera Flex. Chainging a tire doen't take much and it will be worth having a paddle. You can run the 530 but the 560 ten paddle rocks.

--- If you are going to use the 560 paddle you will need a 13tooth counter shaft sprocket and a 45 tooth rear. This will get the tire back fare enough to work.

This paddle is the paddle to have if you want to use all the power of the BRP in the sand.

Picture of the monster paddle;

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/DSC00009.JPG

I got mine for $36

http://www.chaparral-racingcom/Chaparral/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3545&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D150%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CCheng%20Shin%20Offroad%20Tires&Gift=False&mscssid=905FF1313F3F476E8AFDE0BD1336B33F

I got the rear 45 tooth sprocket (steel for a XR400)here;

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/wc.dll?wwrmatv~type_name~0005420954~CH~SPROCKET~Primary+Drive+Rear+Sprocket+Honda~~~~~50

You need to slow down your picture it's wearing me out. ?

Just don't over rev the BRP and keep it moving....The problem with not having a paddle or at least a tire that can hook up...is your alway reving trying to stay on top of the sand insted of moving the sand as you stay on top. That is why I put out big sand moving tires you could still use after you are done at the dunes. The IRC MB5 is a major sand moving tire as is the Tera flex and the Tera Flex works on everything it's DOT biggest baddest tire made!

The IRC MB5 is a major sand moving tire

? :cry: ?

You don't really need a paddle as long as you stay on top of the sand. Paddle just lets you go slower and still stay on top.

The only problem is, if you don't have the paddle then you need the "sack" to go fast enough to stay on top of the sand. If your riding in large flat areas or large bowls, this is not a problem. If it gets technical, you may have problems.

Couple clicks harder on the front compression will keep it from diving too deep when you let off the gas.

The R4 exhaust is nice a little loud but if you ride in an area were sound is not an issue than it will be fine. I had a little problem with alignment but other than that the fit was good. definately allowed the motor to pull in the higher rmp range, didnt seem to notice any loss off the bottom. was going to buy the E series but i have a friend who has one on his 600 and it burns the fender. depending on the riding im doing i will switch off between the stock with the BD tip or the R4. ?

Thanks, how well does the MB5 hold up to regular terrain, I spend a lot of time in the desert of sol cal and that can wear

through a tire quick, also any advice on a good front tire, i know alot of people here recommend the 756 but when i looked at it compared to the Maxxis IT it seemed soft. I currently have a 739 on the rear with 2 rides on it and it needs to be turned around. ?

IM planning a trip to dumont dunes in early nov and was wondering if i could get away with riding without a paddle. plan on spending a small amount of time on the dunes themselves otherwise the rest of the time will be in desert. a friend of mine said that i will burn up my motor if i dont have a paddle. currently have a 01 xr650r uncorked with WB R4 exhuast. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I've got a couple ideas about riding a XR in the dunes.... DON'T DO IT.

The airbox doesn't seal for diddly... and allows way too much sand in the motor. I've got three friends who have all just replaced rings and had abnormal engine wear due to sand. HOW did the sand get blamed... there were small areas where the sand had still remained inside the engine! Yes.. it was there. I tried to take pictures of this... but it was too small an area or too dark. Pictures didn't turn out.

I should take a picture of the next motor we find sand in... and diagram the picture so anyone else can see just where I'm talking about. It's amazing that it doesn't get dislodged from it's hiding spot.

God forbid you lay your bike over in the sand... and pull it to you, or down the dune to where you can get back on and start it. It's like a shovel... scouping sand INTO places it shouldn't be.

TRUST ME (if you care about your BRP)... and ride somewhere else other than sand dunes. I too loved to ride the pig in the dunes... had a blast. With and without a paddle. But I as well as others paid the price over time.

Just my opinion of course!

Speaking of Dakar,

I just read where 3 times Rally Dakar Winner Richard Sainct crashed Richard crashed to his death today while competing in the "Rallye des Pharaons" in Egypt. Medical services attended the scene of Richard´s accident promptly but were unable to save him. KTM will now withdraw all factory riders from the rest of the Rally in respect of Richard´s memory. Our thoughts are with Richard´s family and children.

http://raid.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://raid.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/040929162154.shtml

For sure its horrible to read of Richards passing. Word has it 3 bikes were involved in the accident...but details are still not clear. The areas east of Siwas Oasis (where he crashed) are an area of immense dunes...

Thoughts and wishes with the Sainct family and all involved.

Rally racing has certainly lost one of its finest.

Godspeed R.S.