XR 600 Weight Loss

Does anyone have any ideas on slimming the xr600 down? Also wondering if anyone knows a replacment

for the headlamp number plate without a headlamp,

or is there a cross reference to the Xr600

from another bike possibly?

Thanks

Good luck on trimming it down, I think it is fat forever. On the headlight shell, Maier makes one but it is probably typical Maier crap plastic. Everything I have seen from Maier is very rough and is not recommended. What about a vented Cycra number plate? This would allow airflow to the headset and would probably look better than an empty headlight shell if you do not have a headlight. ?

remove the air silencer. Get aluminum sprockets. A loop kit maybe? Half tank of gas. Aftermarket exhaust. Ditch the odometer and cable. Aluminum bars. Ditch the fanny pack. MX rear fender.

But all that will lose about 5-10 lbs. Not a whole lot. Check this link for some weight info:

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/Tech3.html

Other than that, go on a diet yourself! There is not a lot you can do on the bike. If it was a L version, it would be a different story.

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Matt96xr6 ]

Originally posted by tmunc:

Does anyone have any ideas on slimming the xr600 down? Also wondering if anyone knows a replacment

for the headlamp number plate without a headlamp,

or is there a cross reference to the Xr600

from another bike possibly?

Thanks

I've felt the same way.

Later I decided to just get in better shape and drop 5lbs by giving myself an enema before racing (joking!).

Scott Summers had 70 off road victories and 5 GNCC championships on the Big Red Thunder despite not being nearly as big as many thought he was (6'1" 185lbs) his incredible endurance late in races (2.5hrs plus) was what clinched most of his victories. If you time yourself on off road courses over a period of 2 hours or more compared to other bikes you'll find that the XR's speed is very deceiving. I think the real strength of the bike is that you can ride it faster while really winded than the higher strunger machines. Mike pursley who used to ride a YZ400 in the MO hare scrambles started riding a 650R and doing better and people still can't believe it. Last I heard he was going to start competing the GNCC series as well.

A great article on dropping weight on BIG RED can be found at:

http://www.SRCINC.net/techbull.htm

No substitute for improved suspension.

DO a search for BOB BELL or PRECISION CONCEPTS. He does all the suspension for TEAM HONDA. Steve Hengeveld is only 140lbs and holds THREE OFF ROAD NUMBER ONE PLATES. One of the most amazing guys I've witnessed on an XR650R!

Best thing I did was spend a lot of time on the my BRP-600 bike and learn it from one end to the next. Got faster and faster as I kept on it and riding it was second nature. Now have no problem keeping up with friends on hi-tech "now bikes" Better changes than loosing weight on the bike is getting motor and suspension done-then loosing weight at your belt line. 600's weight can be good in some rocky areas as it will not bounce off thing like a MX bike, keeps its speed. Keep it in its environment and its a great bike as is. If you ride MX, sell it and buy what you need.

I still own a CR500. During most of that time I have owned it I also owned an xr600. I could always beat the crowd I rode with, but on long rides I could beat them easier on the XR. Everything I did to the XR to make it more like the CR made me slower on longer rides, except for adding cartridge forks and a second hand Ohlins shock. (the forks were second hand too).

The most significant weight reduction came from taking off the things I wouldnt use such as the lights and getting an aluminum exhaust. The stock tires and tubes weighed 1.3 lbs more in front and almost 3 pounds more than the ones I switched to (dunlop's). Mine came with a 17 inch rear though and I put an 18 running 110 instead of the fat ones. (try that and i bet you dont go back).

Renthal bars and sprockets probably dropped mine another 1.5 to 2 lbs. I never weighed this one as I figured that it would affect me mentally if I really knew. It was not the thing to have on really tight and slick going. My CR was worse though except for picking them up.

In the end you can get 12-13 lbs reasonably if your tires were like mine. 10 at least. Doing one again, the motor would stay stock except for the exhaust and jetting. If yours does not have cartridges I would get them. Get the shock set up for you and never look back. (at the end of two hours you would just see the hiper bikes struggling anyway).

I'm relieved to hear the truth about the weight of the aftermarket silencers verses the stock silencers with the baffle removed. I was pondering spending $250.00 plus for a new silencer. I guess my thumper racing insert is good enough. I will spend that money on suspension up-grades. ?

Why do most assume that because we ride

the biggest, baddest bike out there that we have the

biggest gut as well? I am plenty trim

thanks though, I have had an enema and lost 12 lbs. but the best way is to just go anorexic. (15.6 lbs.) Actually, I am not a lard, just looking

for ways to trim the bike down.

Thanks for all of the input.