Need help with Stator problem

I have an 86 XL600R....I have had 2 stators go out in less than a month...The first stator didn't go completly out but was just bad....reading 20 ohms....The second stopped charging completly and was reading 28 ohms....The first stator was the original and the second was an OEM part...Any idea what could be making these go out? I don't want to keep changing them out if I have another problem...

I have found that the motor has been running hot and has melted the plastic that covers the wires to the stator....Any ideas on what would make the engine run hot?

Any ideas on what would make the engine run hot?

Jetting, riding style, low on oil....

Definatly plenty of oil....The overheating is occuring on long highway runs....60-70 mph....I think the jetting could be a problem...What about carb float setting?

Definatly plenty of oil....The overheating is occuring on long highway runs....60-70 mph....I think the jetting could be a problem...What about carb float setting?

Not likely. But a lean condition will definately make it run hot.

Ok...So if it is running lean and has the stock jets.What is your advice....The carbs have just been rebuilt (or so says the mechanic shop)....