Joe Racer VS Baja Designs The winner is

First off, I don't have either kit -

Edelbrock ? made me forget about them until a few weeks ago when the right knee got twisted up and I can't kick start right now. Many month's ago I had the $$$ and called JR, was all set and then searched the old posts in this forum - READ them!

The BD kit has since been on the market and so far sounds good.

I kinda like having to kick the bike - it's just become an issue with the knee. so, I'll watch here too. I'm sure that we'll hear about the kit from KTM that goes for $ 7k and includes the rest of the bike with the starter ?

Hey thanks for the post FYI i did the search and read all the old posts and also called BD and asked about the fit w/ a Quicksilver they said works great. I do ride 25 % of the time on street and had it stall couple of times and don't like to be honked at ? in so cal when the BRP stalls out in traffic. Just want to look at all options. If i was on dirt i wouldnt be buying the Button.

Thanks for your comment ?

Baja Designs called back and said will not fit with a quicksilver carb so not sure maybe rev-loc or

The Joe Racer Electric Start Turnkey Kit for the XR400 and XR650 WE SHALL SEE WHAT HAPPENS ?

I have the Baja Designs Electric start kit and the QuickSilver Carb working fine. As already stated by Qadsan, I had to tilt the Carb to get it to work. I also have the Z-Start auto-clutch by Rekluse installed. The best of all worlds. With the Z-start and the electric start I could be happy with the stock carb which I'm running right now because of problems with the Edelbrock carb (unrelated to tilting it). Edelbrock went through my carb and mailed it back to me but I have not installed it yet to see if they really fixed the problem.

Point is you can go with Baja Designs E-Start if you can stand its looks. I've have gotten used to the way it looks now but it was the biggest obstacle to me buying their kit. JR's kit was never under consideration after reading what those who bought it had to say.

Thanks qadsan and old man time, That works for me ! I did spend 1/2 the day on line reading and also called rekluse about the z start sounds great but! they told me to take the cluch lever off and or buy the perch so u can self adjust on the fly i liked that idea, what did you do ? Thanks a bunch.........3920 ? Lots of hot tips tonight ? I know it's ugly but hopefully i will be to busy riding

Thanks qadsan and old man time, That works for me ! I did spend 1/2 the day on line reading and also called rekluse about the z start sounds great but! they told me to take the cluch lever off and or buy the perch so u can self adjust on the fly i liked that idea, what did you do ? Thanks a bunch.........3920 ? Lots of hot tips tonight ? I know it's ugly but hopefully i will be to busy riding

Actually when you purchase the on the fly adjusting unit, you can keep your clutch lever to over ride the Z-Start if ya need to. I did this so I can pull the clutch in and rev it without the E-Start engaging and then pop the clutch. About the only time I think I would really need it is when I need to loft the front end in a traditional manner. It's kinda like a security blanket. Should the throttle ever jam open I can still pull the clutch while hitting the kill switch. Does that make sense?

I bought the clutch perch option, which allows you to still use your clutch lever just as before, except it has a significantly lighter pull. I don't always want to shift without using the clutch, which is one of the reasons I bought this option, plus the external adjustability is nice to have even though I rarely adjust it. Stalling is a thing of the past for me with the z-Start no matter how hard I jam on my brakes in the corners. Both brake & power slides become easier with the z-Start and its made my riding experience more enjoyable.

I also have the Z-Start auto-

clutch by Rekluse installed. The best of all worlds. With the Z-start and the electric start I could be happy with the stock carb which I'm running right now because of problems with the Edelbrock carb (unrelated to tilting it). Edelbrock went through my carb and mailed it back to me but I have not installed it yet to see if they really fixed the problem.

I've got a comment... and then a question....

Edelbrock is the bomb! I sent mine in (I have the first generation carb) to them since my "squirt" was so minimal and almost nothing to brag about. ? No really... the pump wasn't working correctly. So they went through this thing with a fine tooth comb (Chris/Jason) and replaced about 12-14 parts from washers, to gaskets, to even the floats!! Amazing thing is they did it all under warranty. NOW, my bike runs again like it should have... nice and crisp. Even better... they received it on a Thursday, and sent it BACK OUT the SAME DAY! It was a 3 day turnaround. Friggin AMAZING! ??? :cry:

My question is about your Rekluse...

Doesn't the bike NOT HAVE any motor braking?? I mean, when you jump or come down a hill... it acts like you pulled in the clutch right?? Can you give us all a quick blurp on the motor braking, and how you work it or can finesse the bike to use the motor braking. That's the one thing I love about 4strokes... and to lose it, would be detrimental (for the riding I do). ?

Johnny,

Depending on how you setup your z-Start, you can have as much or as little engine braking as you want. I've got mine setup to lock up quick & hard, thus providing engine braking down to idle. I can go down the steepest of hills and still have full engine braking all the time the way mine is setup. The z-Start also provides more clamping pressure than the stock clutch at higher RPM, so there's less chance for the clutch to slip. It also comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. I've had mine for over 1.5 years now and still love it ?

Hi guys, I installed my BD E start kit with no problems at all. Just a very slight twist of the EB carb to clear the battery a few mm and some slight tweaking of the battery tray to work with the XR's only case saver and counter shaft sprocket cover.

OMT & qadsan, are you guys able to wheelie your BRP's easily with the Z-clutch installed? I am thinking about getting one for the really tight stuff I like to ride.

Jeff

I have mine set up just like Qadsan. It will compression brake right down to idle.

If you use it on a jump I suspect the clutch would activate unless you gave it a little juice in the air.

I love my autoclutch and everyone who has rode my bike wants or has already bought one. I just installed my buddy's Z-Start for his XR650R. He ordered one the day after he rode my bike. He did not want off my bike so I rode his for the last 20 miles of our loop.

Oh yeah, I dont wheelie all that often. I have noticed that the front end lifts off in 2nd gear when I wack the throttle when I am at a certain rpm.So if your good at wheelies, you probably won't have any problems with it.

Wheelies can be done by either popping the clutch lever or simply via power (throttle control). In fact, if you whack open the throttle from idling, the bike will instantly loop. A magazine tester did this by mistake after he was told to be careful ?

Got the z-start on order and the baja designs e start really looking forward to the upgrade . I am trying to adjust the quicksilver and directions say for richer turn right a few clicks ? I dont feel it clicking at all and i do feel it going into the slot that feels right has anyone else ran into this prob ? ?