HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minioutlaw

increased spring rate/damping

6 posts in this topic

I bought a pair of '89 CR250 forks that I'm going to experiment with on my '97 XR600. I got them cheap, don't know if I'll like them, and don't want to put a lot of money into them. I think I'll need heavier springs in them (stock is .38kg/mm and I was thinking .44kg/mm) which aren't too expensive and I can install myself, but I'm not sure I want to pay for re-valving. Would I be wasting my money by changing springs and not valves as well? Thanks for the input,

I think I would make the swap out and then see if you like the setup and think it is a positive change. Once you decide it is a good addition then I would spend the cash to get the right springs and valves to match your weight and riding style. Once you get the switch made post some pics :cry:

Your idea does make the most sense. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to tell whether or not I liked the setup if the springs were far too soft, but I guess that's better than spending $100 to find out the same thing. Thanks.

"cause upside down forks look cool?

'Cause there's no better way to learn about stuff than to take it apart, swap it out, screw it up, and fix it again.