The 2 stroke is not dead yet !

Had an interesting experience on the weekend.

Group of us were riding in an area we call the Valley of a 1000 hills. One section (20km) is a very twisty dirt road, quite smooth with a fine quartz type gravel. This gives awesome traction in the wet, but can be somewhat skaty in the dry (latter conditions on the weekend). I was on my WR450. Other bikes were CRF250X, KTM250 4st, and a CR125. We are all pretty similar riders.

Now in these conditions I have generally discounted a 2 stroke, given the smooth tractable power delivery of the 4 stokes.

Anyway, I decided to hop on the 125 and try it out. I'm 6ft 2", 102kgs and have not riden a 2 stroke for more than 3 years. Clearly I'm not ideally suited to this type of bike. I was shocked, without a doubt I was fastest on this bike through these road sections.[2nd to 5th gear type roads on the CR, no long staights, WR probably only gets into 4th briefly] I rode all the other bikes at some stage or another and it was obvious I went quickest on the 125. You can come into the corners very fast, big two wheel slides into the corner and good controlable drive out. With the 4 stokes (CRF/WR) and their greater weight, they push a lot more entering the corners and tend to wheelspin as they drive out. End result looks spectacular with all the hanging the back out, but bottom line is you're not going forward. Its a lot easier to cut inside the other bikes on a corner. At one stage a friend on the KTM250 (04 model which gets very good writeups) came out of a corner side by side with me. He is only 60kgs, so I expected him to pull me on the drive out. Not so. I annilihated him.

Another rider who is better than me, on the CRF250X could not keep up with me through the twisties. When we swopped bikes, I could not keep up with him.

On the really tight bush paths the 125 again ruled. It was only on really technical climbs it lost out and on big 4/5 gear up hills.

I was impressed. In fact I intend buying the new 05 YZ125 as a second bike. I think I'm going to seriously humiliate some of my other buddies who have also discounted the antiquated 2 stoke

Yeah I just blew away a 125- 2 smoke this weekend on the sand trails of Upper Wisconsin. He cornered pretty fast but could not get the traction in the sand due to over spinning the rear wheel. The WR just tractored by him on the short straights. ? Once I got in front my WR450 turned atv width for a while and then took off on some longer straights. This guy was fast but the 125's dont have the power to run deep sand. A 250 4 stroke would have done a lot better in these conditions as well and I would not have been able to pass another 4 stroke.

? :cry:

I noticed that James Stewart didn't have those kind of problems with the 250 4 stroke this weekend in Glen Helen. He looked and said he was amazed how fast and how much easier it was to ride the 4 stroke.. But then again what does he know compared to us real pros. ?

I noticed that James Stewart didn't have those kind of problems with the 250 4 stroke this weekend in Glen Helen. He looked and said he was amazed how fast and how much easier it was to ride the 4 stroke.. But then again what does he know compared to us real pros.

Now if I had Bubba's speed I could go fast on anything. Unfortunatly I don't so I have to ride what fits the conditions I'm riding in. Luckly the fastest guy in the world feels the same way. RC will be on a 2 stroke for SX, Last years SX champ feels the same too, as he will be on a 2 smoke for SX. (Both were 4 stroken in the outdoors)

Good to see the pros took my advice and are taking a bike that fits the conditions ?