HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garry_on_a_426

Keep blowing fork seals on my 01 WR

23 posts in this topic

I keep blowing the fork seal on my left front fork. I have looked for dings/scratches but can't see any on the tube that could be causing this.

I am getting good at changing them, but tired of doing it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Try installing fork "boots". I ride alot of wet muddy areas and haven't had to change a fork seal in 2 years :cry:

Next time it happens take a good qaulity business card and slide it up and under the fork seal. Slide it in as far as you can and still hang on to it easily. Now work your way around the fork slowly pulling the card out as you go around. You may be getting dirt particles in there and changing seals when there s nothing wrong with them. Now get something to keep the dirt away from the seals.

Try installing fork "boots". I ride alot of wet muddy areas and haven't had to change a fork seal in 2 years :cry:

and/or clean one

Yes, I replaced the dust seal/oil seal/slider each time.

I have only tied the bike down in the back of my truck 1 time since the last replacement.

I tried the business card trick, no go....

I am starting to wonder if I have a bent tube or scratches on it. The suspension does not seem to 'stick' like a bent tube.

If it has a scratch on it, I guess this could be happening. Has anyone ever had their tubes re-coated?

A couple of things.

The card trick has worked for me for about 3 years now I have not replaced a fork seal and was doing a couple sets a year before. I put lots of hours on a bike in a year.

A scratch is a possiblity.

Maybe you are damaging the new seals when you are putting them in. If it seals for a few rides then leaks I would say that the scratch or damage during install are not vaild arguments.

Are you riding in a new area that may have really abrasive dust?

You can be 90% sure that you have some kind of scratch or rough place on your tube.. Besides looking, did you take some VERY fine emory paper and work on the tube with it? :cry: :cry:

Yo dude,

Get yourself some Sealsavers. Haven't had a seal go out in over 2 years now. I ride a lot of muck and water. Best 15 buck investment you can make.

Fryboy

or... you are tieing your bike down too snug.

This is a myth. There is no extra built up pressure on the seals when you compress the forks. The oil acts as a damper in the fork, limiting the speed of the compression through flow restriction (valves). The springs offer the compression resistance. After your forks are warm, though, you can bleed the air out of them, that would help somewhat, from what I've heard. :cry:

You can be 90% sure that you have some kind of scratch or rough place on your tube.. Besides looking, did you take some VERY fine emory paper and work on the tube with it? :cry: :cry:

How fine? think wet 1500 would work?

Do you think that I would be able to see / feel the scratches?

About :

#2. Next time you replace your seals, go to the Honda shop. Their stock ones work much better than the blue ones.

Can you be more specific about which Honda bike we can interchange the fork seals ?

Thanks

Can you be more specific about which Honda bike we can interchange the fork seals ?

I don't know what bike they were originally for. Last time I wanted to replace seals, I went to the local red shop, and asked them for some that would fit my '98 WR400.

Dude goes back into the warehouse, and comes out with a full set.

I am somewhat flabberghasted, and said "you have some in stock?"

He laughed, and said "would it be better if we ordered you up some? Probably be here next week!"

I think that the diameter of the fork tube is the only thing that really matters, and they should know what they are.

Honda bikes don't "weep" like the blue ones, and I think the seals are the difference.

:cry:

I have a very slight scuff on one of my fork legs that is detectable by touch. I have heard about sanding them smooth. Could someone recommend a paper to use, and perhaps offer some tips on technique?

Are you packing grease in-between the fork seals and dust cap?

My manual states that this should be done with every oil change or as needed. IE: after a really muddy ride.

If I let this slide, and don't put fresh grease in periodically, I end up with leaking seals.

Nope, didn't see that in my manual. But It should be easy enough to do, just pop off the dust cap and pack it. I will try that tomorrow as I am riding on Friday...

Thanks!

I found the problem, I DO have some scratches in my fork tube. They are not very long but they are deep.

What do you do about that? Buy new ones? Send them in for re-coating (it takes 8-10 weeks for race tech to re coat them)? Buy some off of e-bay? Sand paper?