HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamesp

xr500vs.600

4 posts in this topic

I have been thinking that Xrs have been getting weaker rather than stronger. The most recent xr250 I rode couldn't even begin to compare to my old XL250 from top to bottom. As a matter of fact, my 400 was feeling quite pathetic until I did some mods. Still no where near my CR250, but at least it is tolerable.

I guess you can sooth him by saying at least it's newer than yours.

There are a lot of little difference between the bikes that can add up.

First is the 600 a california model? If so, you have so much smog stuff on there it is killing the power.

Second, gearing. You running the same gearing? Plus you have a 17" rear wheel. What about the 600? If it is 89 or newer it will have a 18". Could make a difference in tire size and overall gearing.

Weight, they did get heavier as they got older.

How about things like get an aftermarket filter? Rejet the carb? Open the exhaust a bit?

lastly , what is your weight and your buddies weight?

I will take a guess here that your bike is not stock and his is. It can make a difference. Have your friend on the 600 install a 13 tooth front sprocket and then go at it again.

I had an '84 XR500 with a 10.25:1 piston, Cobra pipe, and a Uni Filter. After that bike, I got a '99 XR600, put a Uni Filter and a White Bros. E-Series on it. The 500 had 14/50 gearing, the 600 had 14/48 gearing.

There was no comparison between the two--the 600 would wipe the floor with the 500. Truly a day to night difference.

How do I sooth my friend with his 600? My 500R walks all over his bike in the straights, everywhere.