HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michael_loomis

XR600R rebuild

4 posts in this topic

i just bought a 93' XR600R a couple months ago. unfortunately ...to make a looong story short :cry: ... it burned over 1 qt. of oil in 120 miles and locked up on me. i have pulled the motor out and pulled the the top end off to find the rod seized on the crank. i also see some pitting on some of the trans gears , but i havent split the cases yet. i really love this bike and its got every aftermarket accesary you can add (i.e. Scotts , excels , stator , DS kit etc.. ). i want to rebuild everything myself ... the labor isnt a problem for me unless there are some special tools ill need. ill let the machine shop handle the head , cylinder and crank being pressed into the left side half lol. but i can do the rest. first off , is this just a dumb idea? should i just hunt for a used motor ? i wanna race a SCORE race next year , and want it to be bullet proof.

just looking for some advice , thanks.

Price out the pieces and compare it to service honda new engine, $2400 or so. Or look for an extra complete bike and have lots of spare parts. Probably still cheaper than a complete engine rebuild. David

well its about $500 for the trans gears i need and i found a factory crank/rod new for $420. i found a new rod/crank pin for only $160 but i guess i'll have to drop the crank off at a machine shop to see of the rest of the crank is ok. i've thought alot of buying a second parts bike , but dont want someone elses junk lol. thanks for the advice, i never thought about a complete motor from SH.

Kris ... whatcha got in mind ?? my buddy backed out once i told him of the $1100 entry fee lol