Best Flywheel Weight for '01 426

Hey guys,

Who makes the best Flywheel weight for an '01 426? I have looked at Zip-TY, Terry and Steahly. They all look like you have to drill and tap your existing flywheel.

1. Are there any that bolt on?

2. What is the best weight (oz) for trail riding?

3. How long should it take to do this mod?

Thanks,

ripntear

hey wassup!! i have a 99' YZ400F and i put a 10oz. Zip-ty wight on mine, but instead of the drill and tap, i had the welder at my work put it on. he did not weld it though, otherwise it would have made it off balance, messed witth the wieght. he used the TIG machine and he just melted the weight to the flywheel. he said if it was gonna crack, it would've already. he melted them together all the way around the fly wheel to make them noce and even. anyway, just an idea for you. it definitely makes a difference. ?

I have the 10oz. Steahly on my '02 426. It's the drill & tap type. I've been running it for about a year now without any problems. It made the bike a little more rider friendly in the woods because it makes the power delivery a little smoother. Lately I've been thinking of going back to the stock flywheel with no weight though. Even though I'm happier with the bike in the woods, I miss the throttle response now that my skill level on this bike has improved. The Steahly model was easy to install and I would reccomend it to anyone who feels the need to tame the 426 beast a little, especially is stalling is your problem (which was my main problem on this bike in the woods). If I had it to do over I would probably opt for a Rekluse auto clutch though.

Try calling steahly(800-800-2363)As far as I know,they make complete flywheels for your bike,I'm just not sure what weights(oz)that way you can keep your stock to switch back to if you want.They treated me right!

4Stroke,

yeah, i actually bought a new factory flywheel 2 weeks ago and put it back on. man what a differencr. it made it much quicker. it kinda re-ignited our fire ? :cry: i,ll definitly leave it on now. fo sho ?

What do you mean by Factory? Yamaha? What weight? Any other specifics would help.

Is it better than the Zip-Ty mod you were running and why?

ripntear

the flywheel that i put back on my bike was the OEM (factory flywheel) that came on the bike originally from Yamaha. i had to buy a new one because my wieght was basically welded to my original OEM factory flywheel. if you drilled and tapped your OEM fly wheel, and then you wanted to go back to the lighter flywheel (like i did) you would probably want to just buy a new OEM one. with the holes in it it does take away some weight, and when your talking ounces, i would think it would make difference. as far as how much the OEM wieghs?? i don't know. i do know it weighs 10oz. less though?? ?

to buy the OEM one i got it from parker yamaha, in parker AZ. they beat a lot of places on factory parts. taking off that weight definitely gave my bike some new zip, rather than being "toned down a little" with the weight. when i first got my bike, i thought it needed a weight, i ran that for about a year, and then i rode my buddy's w/out one. that is when i wanted to go back to the lighter flywheel. now when i look back, the weight was nice for when i first got my bike, but once my skill level increased, it was nice to have that little extra zip:cheers: ?

4Stroke,

A friend said that once I had some time on the bike and got use to it, I would not stall it near as often. This is one reason that I was looking for something that I could bolt on without any mods and take it off after I had some time on the bike. I agree that If I drilled and tapped, it would take even more weight off once I decide to go back to original. Maybe I should consider an extra flywheel as you have done.

Thanks,

ripntear

ripntear:

I installed the 12oz. Zip-Ty. Yes I needed to drill & tap the weight to the flywheel but once installed I've never wanted to take it off. It's that much better. ?

It all depends on where you are going to spend most of your time riding. MX or Woods? As for me, I don't race, I do however go to the local MX track on practice days and put in a few moto's and I don't miss the quick revving power plant. What I have now is a bike that spends less time spinning the rear wheel and more time hookin up.

Just my 2-cents worth. ?

Boyd

i have a 12 oz. steahly flywheel, and it is complete. they make 8 10 and 12 oz. i ride mx alot and ive never liked the light flywheel. i need to be able to use the power. it was especially evident after i raised the compression - because i need more hook up now.

by the way... i dont notice a "slower revving power" at all. the only way i know its there is im not sliding out around every turn, and if i do i have an extra second to make the correction.

Thanks Boyd,

All of my time is spent on Trails, Woods or Mountains. No Motocross. Traction and less stalling are what helps me and everyone else go faster. When I stall out on this 426 it zaps me. After riding 5-6 hrs., It's all I can do to load up and get home. I personally need the flywheel weight to help me keep from stalling as often. When I stall there is usually more than just kicking it again to get going. Getting the bike or yourself positioned properly or picking it up then kicking, actually takes more out of me than the riding part. If I have to mess with it for more than a couple of minutes, I am spent for a while, and depending on the time of the day it occurs (how long I have been riding)will determine how fast I recover from all the huffin and puffin. I work out and am in pretty good shape for 42. Most of the bikes I have had were all 2 stroke KTM's with heaver flywheels and hardly ever had them stall on me. This is my 1st 4stroke, I LOVE this bike. I just want to ride more kick less. I should add that I have only spent 1 day on this 426. Maybe I'll get to know it better and will keep from stalling it as often.

ripntear

I just found my steahly catalog and price list.The ty davis drll and tap is $149.95 and the complete flywheel is $199.95,I personally just ordered a complete 10 oz. so I don't have to drill and tap and once the cover is off it is easy enough to pull and replace complete flywheel.To me the 50 bucks more is worth it,I would hate to screw up the install of the drill and tap.The only advantage I see is the ability to change to different weights without pulling flywheel but I would assume you would want to pull it anyway to initially drill and tap.According to price list the Ty Davis comes in 10,12,14,while the complete options are 8,10,12.Like I said before just give them a call,nice guys and I'm sure they can help you make weight size(oz)choice.

Thanks Boyd,

All of my time is spent on Trails, Woods or Mountains. No Motocross. Traction and less stalling are what helps me and everyone else go faster.

If trails are your bag, then the flywheel weight is the ticket.

When I stall out on this 426 it zaps me. After riding 5-6 hrs., It's all I can do to load up and get home. I personally need the flywheel weight to help me keep from stalling as often.

Before I installed mine I would stall the bike at least 5-10 times a ride. ?

When I stall there is usually more than just kicking it again to get going. Getting the bike or yourself positioned properly or picking it up then kicking, actually takes more out of me than the riding part. If I have to mess with it for more than a couple of minutes, I am spent for a while, and depending on the time of the day it occurs (how long I have been riding)will determine how fast I recover from all the huffin and puffin. I work out and am in pretty good shape for 42. Most of the bikes I have had were all 2 stroke KTM's with heaver flywheels and hardly ever had them stall on me. This is my 1st 4stroke, I LOVE this bike. I just want to ride more kick less.

Kick it less... Have you done any reading in the "YZ 450 cam mod-please read" forum? If you do any reading there, read the "WHOLE THING" I know it's alot of reading but it is packed with information. From it's conception, on thru to today, there are more and more rider who have done the mod and love it. ?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/392272/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I can tell you from this 49 year old's point of view that now that my bike is a member of the One Kick & Go club, the cam mod works great. Although I haven't quite figured out how to light her off without at least 4 or 5 kicks when it's cold.

I should add that I have only spent 1 day on this 426. Maybe I'll get to know it better and will keep from stalling it as often.

Same thing I thought. "I'll get use to the bike and then it won't stall as much". Your right. It didn't happen as often but still happened to much. ?

Again... just my 2-cents worth. However, it's one kick and go now. ???

Boyd

i got the GYT-R flywheel for my '04 450. i think that you can get either 10 or 12 oz. versions (not sure about the 426's on that). i got the 10 and it made a helluva difference for trail riding. check with your local yammie dealer, but i think mine was around 100 bucks. ?