Ive fallen and i cant start my 650R

After dumping my bike I have to wait at least 10 to 15 or so minutes before itll start again! I was told, a K&N breather kit will make all the difference. Any advice?

I've never heard that the K&N breather completely takes care of this, but if it does, then it's an inexpensive solution. Hopefully someone here can comment on this, or perhaps it's cheap enough to where you can just try it out.

I can say that installing a Edelbrock pumper carb will take care of this problem and more, but it's far more expensive than the K&N breather. The Edelbrock pumper has an internal fuel cell and vented system that allows the bike to quickly start up after you dump or whether your starting your bike hot or cold. Fuel doesn't spill out the bowl when your bike is on its side with this carb like it does with other carbs and another thing, if you were to put your bike on it's side with the tank to the dirt, it will stay running and run just fine on its side unlike the stock carb. This carb also give you instant throttle response from down low, automatically stays tuned from 0 - 10,000 feet, etc.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: qadsan ]

I instaled a Terry Cable hot start kit on my 00 650r and it helps on some situations, but it still does this same thing SCOJOR's bike and if I sit for a few minutes it will start.

The problem is a fuel flooded cylinder. The cure is easy:

1. Hold throttle wide open...don't twist it over and over, just hold it wide open.

2. Kick it 20 or so times...this will clear out the cylinder of unspent gas, and dry the plug.

3. let throttle return and start as normal.

Pretty easy, when it works. I learned this on my XR 350, and as a matter of fact, doing this befor I started the bike cold would cause it to start in no more than 3 kicks every time. It worked on my YZ 400, and a buddies XR 650. My new KTM however is much easier...push HERE.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: YZ400Court ]

Thats the ticket. When you fall you empty your float bowel down your intake. You need to clean it out. Just use your comp release when you kick it threw like YZ400court said. It will fire.

After it has fallen, I hold the throttle wide open,and kick it over (8-10 times)while using the copmression release, it will quite often backfire burning some of the excess fuel. then do the 4 stroke drill, the XR650 not having an accerator pump in the carb usually starts first kick when cold if you do full choke and hold the throttle wide open for 5 or 6 kicks(in the winter,3-4 in the summer) while holding the compression release, then do the drill with a slight amount of throttle (still choked) because unlike the fuel enrichment circuits (chokes in most other carbs)that won't work if you touch the throttle, the XR's have a real choke plate.And when you get to the kick where your intending for it to start,Kick it like you mean it!

I'm not sure what your doing to start the bike hot. But the cold start sounds right.

When I start a 650, after clearing out the chamber I find TDC + a little with the compresion release and kick it as you twist the throttle. If it doesn't start clear it out again.

Now on my 600 before I got the jetting right I had to put the choke on half way to start it hot no matter what. I finaly raised the needle and the problem went away. You might try this, it shouldn't work but if your running lean it will.

If the bike is jetted right you should be able to start a hot bike with no throttle at all. Just find TDC and kick it.

Now another thing you might be doing is not kicking it hard enough. I don't know you so I need to mention this. If you are not able to give it a long hard kick it will not start. After all a 650 is not a girls bike right. When we rent 650's on the tours some people just can not kick the bike threw. They are good riders but only weight 165lbs. Not enough lead in the foot.

You know,

I had the same problem and the easiest way for me to fix it was to jack up the radiator cap and put a Cannondale X440 under it, then press the green button :) .

I have my XR650R too and the tips posted here will get the job gone. I also lowered the float level and limited the float drop. That seemed to help as well.

Kick that baby from dead top to dead bottom with no throttle and it should start

xr650r

drzE

Originally posted by SCOJOR:

After dumping my bike I have to wait at least 10 to 15 or so minutes before itll start again! I was told, a K&N breather kit will make all the difference. Any advice?

HARD STARTING XR650R...

The XR650R is a bitch to start after crashing! I had a 400R with a Mikuni Pumper and I swear you could throw that bike off a cliff and it would start almost instantly.

I know! I know! Just hold the 650R full throttle and kick it 20 times with the release in. Yeah, just what I love to do while all the people I worked so hard to pass are NOW PASSING ME! Oh well, hopefully it will be "Edelbrock to the Rescue" for me. This is my only real legitimate complaint for the 650R.

Anybody what to team up with me for the Laughlin, NV race let me know. I'm in AZ. Your 650R or mine? I'm 6'3" 220lbs so probably best for suspension settings if you are somewhere in that range. Thanks!

jay

Originally posted by SCOJOR:

I've had This problem with my xr600.

The problem is: these engine run so hot

that when the engine is killed(weather purposeful or not) the heated carbs keep pumping gas through, and flood the engine.

When ever my hot bike stalls or I kill it. I IMMEDIATELY! shut the gas off. then start it before you turn the gas on.

this should solve your problem.

Herbster

dear friend,

I own a 600 xr, that once fallen gets sometimes hardstarter, so what I do recommend you is a trick that three times my countries enduro 4-stroke national champ'has given me:

with the engine off, press the decompressor lever, press the electric cutoff button (right on your handlebar) then fullthrottle it and kick violently for about tentimes, after this, release buttons and lever feel the compression point then kick it and....vroaaaaap poum poum poum poum! It´s running.

This manoeuvre will dry the cylinder of the gas left by the sudden engine stop of your fall !trick

I do hope sincerelly that this trick solves your problem.

see you aound thumpertalk. JP :)

Originally posted by jpeters:

Anybody what to team up with me for the Laughlin, NV race let me know. I'm in AZ. Your 650R or mine? I'm 6'3" 220lbs so probably best for suspension settings if you are somewhere in that range. Thanks!

jay

If you decide to ironman it, I'll be happy to pit you. I should be there with a couple of guys from Phoenix who are racing.