2002 XR650L Gearing

My father and I just got our new 650L's. We're an old desert family, So Cal M/C's (District 37), and haven't riden in a while. Decided to dual sport it! Love our new bikes...were more pleased than expected! Only immediate thing we both noticed was 1st gear was too tall. We're thinking of adding 4 teeth to rear sprocket to assist problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Lovin' our 4strokes!!

I'm not sure on the 2002, on my old '93650L I had to change the rear chain guide, but I can't remember if it was 48 or 50 teeth at the time. Something to look into anyway. I'm back to a 14/45 now with a 675 kit, seems to work well for me. I do remember that the chain would fit through the guide, even with 50 teeth, but it would wear out the chain and guide very quickly. I think the chain wears out the slide in the first few minutes, then the chain starts taking hits from the little 6mm bolts (10mm heads) that hold the guide together. I did not experience this first hand, a riding buddy did instead! I bought a Scotts guide to avoid the problem entirely. May not even be an issue on the '02, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents' worth! Enjoy the bike, Mark

Try this site out, its for the XRL only. There were several people inquiring about gearing just this past week. Someone even posted a gearing chart for the "L". The group is,

http://www.groups,yahoo.com/group/xrlug.

Ray

I would just drop the front sprocket 1 tooth. That would be easiest. 1 tooth in front = ~3 in the rear.

I have a 93 650l and went down 1 tooth in front and 4 up in back,had to do a little work on the chian guard,but work out fine.

Now i can ride it on trails or street :)

xr650r

drzE

xr650l

Actually,

You're probably better off going up 3-4 teeth in the rear than down 1 in front. A smaller sprocket up front tends to wear more quickly than a larger in the rear. Just a thought.......

Actually,

You're probably better off going up 3-4 teeth in the rear than down 1 in front. A smaller sprocket up front tends to wear more quickly than a larger in the rear. Just a thought.......

I have an xr650l I left the front alone with 15 teeth, and put a 48 on the rear, I think the 14 tooth on the front Might harm your first gear, it did on mine, and I had to replace it, I'm thinking of going to a 15 47 just so the rmp will come down a bit on the highway. also the edle brok carb is a big plus the the xr, have the quick silver with the pumper on it, makes a big difference. rob

What did it do to your first gear?

My XR600R, which is basically the same bike has a 14/48 as standard, so you should be able to go to a 14 in the front. I rode all over baja with 15/48 an it was the perfect combination