Compression lever issues. Too much cord

I have a XR650R and my compression lever is not working right. I broke down the bike last night and it looks as though I have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches too much cord. How can I fix this since there is those balls on each end that hook into the levers so I can't cut it. Has anyone had this problem? Need help quick because I'm supposed to ride Saturday and I need to get this fixed.

Seems strange to me. Either A. your cable is stretched beyond all recognition or B. It is routed wrong or C. It's been out of adjustment for a while(not good). However, none of this matters. You can ride without the cable. You just need to follow the standard thumper start-up procedure and you'll be fine. Fine TDC and go an inch or so past it and kick her good. Should fire right up. Get a new cable.

If it is the stock cable it is not to long. The monting bracket may have gotton bent back some how and now you can't adjust out the slack. It dosn't take much to make it work. This cable can't stretch that much. Bend the mounting bracket on the engine toward the front of the bike and then adjust the adjuster till the the decompression arm is parrallel with the ground.

Well I can kick and kick and kick and it won't lock into the TDC postion. This is really wierd

If it is the stock cable it is not to long. The monting bracket may have gotton bent back some how and now you can't adjust out the slack. It dosn't take much to make it work. This cable can't stretch that much. Bend the mounting bracket on the engine toward the front of the bike and then adjust the adjuster till the the decompression arm is parrallel with the ground.

I'm assuming the mounting bracket is the one on the handle bars or are you talking about the bracket next to the engine? I crash a lot so maybe something slid allowing a lot of free-play on the cable.. I'll check it out when I go back to my house for lunch. :thumbsup: Thanks Guys for your quick responses.

Bracket on the engine :thumbsup: