Newb checking in with a big question...

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, Uncle Sam has had me since '93. Now, he's going to commission me in December. Anyway, I looked at both bikes. The 'R' looks like it just came off the showroom floor (with a BD kit), and the 'L' looks like it, too. I'm really confused at this point. I finish my safety course tomorrow, and am dying to get a bike, but $4,250 is a lot for me right now. However, from what you guys have said, the converted (and tagged 'til 2008) BRP is a great way to go. Ah hell, I don't know what I'm gonna do. $2800 sounds much more appealing, but...

I need to call my credit union...

BWB63: I didn't want to make it look like I overlooked the effort you put into that post (or any of you for that matter). THANK YOU!

Get a 650R that is plated and uncorked!! No exceptions! It's fun on the street, very capable on the dirt, super fast and quick, and ultra-reliable.

If you must have electric start, well, I know that must be nice to have, but if you take the time to learn the 4-stroke starting drill, you could be kicking your new 650R over with ease, and never miss that "button".