05 450

thinking about either yz450f or yz250 2 smoker. have 03 250f. looking for more oomph as i ride mostly sand trails. i have ridden for 32 out of my 36 years. all two strokes until my 250f.love the 250f. have only ridden a 450 for a few minutes. have read all about yz450f's abrupt tiring power band. who has an 05 and how are they? i can get an 04 slightly used with enzo suspension and fmf slip on. thinking hard. will that fmf smooth the beast or add to it? those new 2 smokers look good, my last one was an 01 yz 250. great bike but tiring to ride as i did not ride often with that bike. i'm riding more now 2 or3 times a month. i am in better shape now and could handle the smoker or the beast. give me some info, ride reports opinions etc. thanks maybe i need a crf450. perfect combo of power and usability?

the new 05s even though i have not ridden them, they are supposed to have a more mellow powerband. But the 04 with the fmf slip on will mellow out the 04 a little bit. or at least it should. with the 04 you can also take off the tps(throttle position sensor) and it will mellow out the powerband. i have an 04 450 and i have ridden it both ways and i like it how it is. the so called "hit" isnt as bad as some people say. if you could get a good deal on the 04 id do it. because in my mind the 05 isnt worth the extra 1000 bucks or so. it would be great in the sand though. good luck! hope to hear that you bought yourself a 450! :thumbsup:

if you could get a good deal on the 04 id do it. because in my mind the ould be great in the sand though. good luck! hope to hear that you bought yourself a 450! :thumbsup:

I would like to hear some ideas about the price differance as well. I can get on 04 for 5 grand or a 05 for 5700.What I would like to know is if you think the new forks and Cr routed brake line + Motor Mods is worth the $700 it costs to go from 04 to 05 model. I'm kinda on the fence on this one too.

the new 05s even though i have not ridden them, they are supposed to have a more mellow powerband

I have an 05 yz450f

When you have to dump the clutch coming out of corners to get it to go, and never have to grip the bike with your knees, it sucks.

mellow? No I would describe it more like diesel.

So do you like the 05? Can't really decide what your trying to say on the last post.

Thanks

no, it's a dog. I cant believe this is what everyone was whining for.

My both of my yz250f's are faster. I shouldnt have to throw money at a 450 just so it can keep up with a modded 250 on the track. The forks are better than last year though if thats any consiliation. :thumbsup:

Is there anyone else with an 05 yet? This post surprises me. I thought the 05 was the perfect balance! I am waiting on mine and you are scaring me, that it is slow. I had read 2 tests and they state that it is perfect, and it is easy to ride and go fast, and that it is by no means slow! :thumbsup:

I have read other posts that say they rip. I remember reading 250F's post about his 450. I don't think his is typical across the board. He may have got a lemon or whatever sucks for sure. I would take it back to Yamaha still in the 30 day window. I am very interested in a very descriptive ride report as well.

I will be taking it to them tomorrow so a couple of the guys can ride it. I'm pretty sure the bike isnt a lemon though.

My problem is all I can compare it to is my 250's. I have ridden a 400 and a 426, but no 450's. The shop has an 04 that we can compare rides too so that should resolve whether its slow or not.

By slow I mean acceleration not top speed. I wound up dumping the clutch coming out of the corners sunday at the track. Any of you 03/04 guys need to do that? I dont recall having to grip the bike with my knees either.

My 05 is awesome, blows my old 426 away. Suspension is far better than my revalved ones on the 426. The front brake actually works, my 426 didn't. There is no way a 250F is going to be faster than a 450F. I could have gotten a good deal on the 04 but I wouldn't give my 05 up. I think it is that much better.

thats good to hear, the 250's are not stock.

I definitely want to be in the camp of something is wrong. If it ran bad or was a hard starter or something I would feel a lot better about it.

I will be taking it to them tomorrow so a couple of the guys can ride it. I'm pretty sure the bike isnt a lemon though.

My problem is all I can compare it to is my 250's. I have ridden a 400 and a 426, but no 450's. The shop has an 04 that we can compare rides too so that should resolve whether its slow or not.

By slow I mean acceleration not top speed. I wound up dumping the clutch coming out of the corners sunday at the track. Any of you 03/04 guys need to do that? I dont recall having to grip the bike with my knees either.

None or very little clutch use on my 03 period...it pulls and pulls and pulls.. interesting opinion of the 05 though - I want to ride one to see how it is different... :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in an 03 - 05 450 comparison, this talk of the 05 being too mellow has me worried, i love the 03 motor the only problem area i see with the bike is the suspension which sounds like it's sorted for the 05 models. I was going to trade up (maybe down)to the 05 in a couple of weeks but all this has me thinking twice. :thumbsup:

I guess its my turn! Just comming of an 04 250f, of which I liked very much! I found my new 05 450f to be everything I expected and more! This bike pulls hard and keeps on pulling. The biggest difference between my old bike and this one has got to be the suspension hands down!!! Not to mention the added torque the 450 has to offer, WOW. Takes a lot less effort to go fast with my new horse. Also,first time on the track with it, I got the best hole shots ever, and managed a trophy to boot. I was heisatent going from my much loved 250f to this bike but I"m now glad I did. Love the 4 speed trans also! Yamaha has a winner here! :thumbsup: It sort of like yamaha listend to what the riders wanted in a 450 and made it happen. Smooth power and a pleasure to ride.Just my thoughts, I know not every one will feel the same way I do.

interesting. Is everything still stock on it?

Your obviously the only one here with a problem. Everybody elese who has ridden the 05 450 has had nothing bad to say. Why don't you get yourself sorted out and stop trying to trash the new 450. If its that bad sell the 450 and ride your bitchen 250.

I absolutly love my 05 450. Came off of an 02 YZF426 and the bike is great. I was on the fence regarding an 04 or 05 and I don't have any regrets regardng purchasing the 05. I did a very detailed ride report about two weeks ago. Search back if you missed it.

Dave

Your obviously the only one here with a problem. Everybody elese who has ridden the 05 450 has had nothing bad to say. Why don't you get yourself sorted out and stop trying to trash the new 450. If its that bad sell the 450 and ride your bitchen 250.

dude, ease up. I want to ride the 450. But I need to resolve it's issues first. The fact that I think it's a pig doesnt have any bearing on how you feel about yours.

I asked if yours was still stock, and I also pm'd you asking if it was an 05 like you posted in this thread or an 04 like your profile said. Would you be kind enough to answer that. I dont think the 04 is this sluggish, I'll know today when I ride the one at the shop.

I just read your ride report sparky, thanks for pointing it out.

Man it would be easier if there was someone closer than california. :thumbsup:

It just seems like in every post of the 05 your trashing it. Everyone else has great things to say about it. Maybe a CRF would suit you.