Smoke at start up

My Buddy has a 98 XR650L and I have a 96 XR 650L. Has anyone encountered a blue smoke at start up. Its happening on the 98 XR all stock . It is not a consistant problem ! sometimes it smokes in the morning sometimes it doesnt. clears up after about 8 seconds. Dealer top technician thought it was in the emulsifier tube in the carb so we took the carb all apart and of course it was clean and clear. The spark plug is burning perfect It cant be rings because it doesnt do it all the time.

My XR600 (93) does the same thing, but the plug reads perfect. From my experience blue smoke can come from two places at start up if not the rings.

1. Valve Seals may be leaking slightly, allowing small amounts of oil into the combustion chamber.

2. Fuel may be built up in the combustion chamber. Large amounts of fuel can burn off with a dark blue smoke, it is not always black.

Just the info I have gotten from others on what the smoke is from.

Ryan

My XR600 (93) does the same thing, but the plug reads perfect. From my experience blue smoke can come from two places at start up if not the rings.

1. Valve Seals may be leaking slightly, allowing small amounts of oil into the combustion chamber.

2. Fuel may be built up in the combustion chamber. Large amounts of fuel can burn off with a dark blue smoke, it is not always black.

Just the info I have gotten from others on what the smoke is from.

Ryan

Valve stem seals. You can replace them and it will stop smoking at start up for a year or

so, then it will start to smoke again. Or you can live with it.