HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gav_114

fuel usage on 650R

12 posts in this topic

Hi, i bought a 650R about a month ago and im having probs with fuel well this is what happens i ride around trails and single stuff and at around the 60km (37miles) and then the bike starts back firing and loosing power so i turn it to reserve and everything is fine?? what is happeneing and is this the right fuel consumption? weird thing is reserve lasts forever i rode 20km(12mile) home, had a look in the tnak and still had a good quarter of a tank of fuel left? whats going on guys any tips would be appreciated its a 2004 model

I assume this is the stock tank. In slow riding you can expect considerably lower mileage than on open desert type situations. I would say you should get about 55 miles out of a stock tank in slow riding. It varies somewhat from bike to bike. It does sound like something else is wrong if you still had a 1/4 of a tank. Maybe a little water in the fuel caused it to act up. That does happen. Pour some heet in there if it happens again. If it goes away you got moisture in the fuel.

That's all I get from a tank while riding mx track. I think I could probably do 45-50 on trails if I stayed out of the throttle but what fun would that be. :thumbsup: Some of the gas gets trapped on the left side of the tank until you lean the over to the right.

Hey Gav,

Properly getted you should 80-100ks before hitting reserve. Reserve will get you up to 20ks. Standard Jetting is too lean and as a result you will use more fuel. I have a Quicksilver on mine, the best mod by far.

It really depends on what and how you are riding. I have hit reserve as soon as 36 miles on muddy, sloppy single track. I have gone as far as 68 miles on easy single track, woods roads and dual sporting.

yeah well it did do this in the local sunny corner rally here and it was muddy and a fair bit of single stuff so maybe that was it i will try it again and check the jetting is right

hey nick whats a quicksilver???

yeah well it did do this in the local sunny corner rally here and it was muddy and a fair bit of single stuff so maybe that was it i will try it again and check the jetting is right

hey nick whats a quicksilver???

It's a pumper carb made by Edelbrock for the XR650R. :thumbsup:

Is the bike completely uncorked? Jetting close to 175 main, 68s or 70s pilot and br53e needle? Smog garb removed, air box opened up, intake derestricted, exhaust opened up?

yeah sunny corner was awesome besides the snow and cold of course lol, sunny corner is where i normally ride it is my backyard basicall as i live in bathurst so 20 mins and im there what bout you anything close to sydney?

You lucky bugger. I am based in southern Sydney mainly ride Wattagans. Menai 10mins away which is only good when I am desparate.