HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sneakyshoe

XR650 Starting the BEAST??

5 posts in this topic

So, I'm assuming your bike is bone stock? I rode my bike breifly in its choked-off showroom condition. It started easily when cold, but I never started it hot or after a crash.

Here's how I start my XR.

When its cold:

-Choke all the way on

-Kick slowly until you come to TDC. You'll know it because you'll feel a "hard spot" in the kickstart stroke.

-Pull the compression release in. While you have it pulled in, move the kickstarter about an inch or so downwards, bringing the piston passed TDC.

-Let go of the compression release

-Let the kick starter come all the way back up.

-Kick like you mean it.

Starts 1st or 2nd kick that way. I do the same thing if its hot, only I don't use the choke. Again, it almost always starts 1st kick, sometimes it takes two.

If I crash, after I pick up the bike, I pull in the compression release and hold it while holding the throttle WFO and kick it several times. Then I use my normal routine.

I don't know if the EPA legal bike is any more difficult to start when hot or after a crash. My advice, uncork that thing right away! :)

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: RedThunder ]

Once the 650 is uncorked and jetted it is much easier to start. However, after a laydown its a bear to get started. I went to the new Edelbrock Quicksilver pumper carb and it totally solved the sarting after laydown problem. I layed my bike down with the engine running on both the right and left sides and it just lays there running perfectly happy. I stop the engine let it lay there for 5 minutes, pick it up run it through a few times using the compression release then switch on and it fires on the first kick every time--Man what a difference!!

I posted a report after jetting etc. over on the XR650R Yahoo e-groups forum.

Clark

I still don't see how people have so much trouble starting their 650's after a fall. Maybe my bike is a factory defect, only in a good way?

A few kicks with the throttle open and the comp. release pulled in, and its ready to fire.

Mine was a real pain to start when bought it. Uncork it! Not only will it start easier it will put a permanent grin on your face. I use the same technic Redthunder posted starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime.