Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gavin500

Jumbo Fuel Tank

5 posts in this topic

If you are talking about the 650R, Acerbis makes what you are looking for. The Sahara tank is 6gal that mounts like a regular gas tank. They also have the Sahara underseat tank that adds another 3.7gal. Click HERE for more details.

If your talking about the 650L they also show a 5gal on the same page

I have an XR650L with the Acerbis 5 gal tank. I wouldn't recommend buying one though. They don't fit perfectly, their frame mounts wear out very fast, the tank wobbles about and they are ba$#@rds to clean and keep clean.

A friend of mine has mounted an IMS tank on his XR400R and it looks a lot better/slimmer and hasn't failed as yet. He doesn't push his bike as much as I do, though.

Manos

PS. All in all, are you sure you want one? If you fill it up with gas, the COG and total weight will rise significantly, so much so that you will be riding a VERY different bike.

I have the IMS "7 gal" tank on my XR650R that I rode to Panama and back (240 hours riding time). It fits perfect and mounts solidly, and it protects the radiators. I don't think it takes quite 7 gals, but I put on as much as 290 miles without running on reserve. The XRR gave me an impressive 50-60 mpg (two tanks at exactly 60 mpg).

The tank is wide at the knees, so if you are a stand-up rider, you will not like the width. Also, use a good sealant for the screw-in fittings. Keep an eye on the plastic radiator collars. If they melt, it can lead to damaged radiators.

Originally posted by gavin500:

I heard there is a 25Litre fuel tank out now for the XR650, yet don't know who makes it.

How big is that in gallons? Well above 5!

Does anyone know who make's this?

I think that Acerbis makes that as a standard desert large-capacity tank - - - don't know for sure -

stop by www.usamoto.com and see if they have one - if not I'm sure they could get it -

Good luck!