Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allinson

Does the WR426F make more power than the XR??

10 posts in this topic

Having been an xr fan for many years with my last being a 2000 xr400 I would be willing to bet that an xr440 kit still will not make it faster over a wr426. I recently purchased a 426 and it rocks over the wr. The suspension on the 426 rips.

Originally posted by Dramus:

Hey folks. I was talking to a local Yamaha dealer today who told me that the WR426 makes more HP stock than the XR. The Honda dealer told me that he wasnt too sure about that, but the XR with the power-up kit would kill the 426.

Can anybody offer up an answer to this question?

Ditto Allinson...

I've spent many hours in the saddle of an XR400 and it doesn't have near the power of my WR426. It does, however, start *really* easy (even after a spill) and requires *zero* attention (fix'n, tune'n, wrenchin', etc). Like all XR's that I've been on, the XR400 also has the "XR blubber" when you land from a jump. I don't know why, but it's a trait of all the XR's I've ridden/owned.?.? :)

Also, as stated by Allinson above, the suspension on the XR is no match for the WR.

Just my humble opnion...

--Steve

Hey folks. I was talking to a local Yamaha dealer today who told me that the WR426 makes more HP stock than the XR. The Honda dealer told me that he wasnt too sure about that, but the XR with the power-up kit would kill the 426.

Can anybody offer up an answer to this question?

Not in their dreams!! the Xr has 61 HP!! yes You´ve readit 61! the 426 wr (the wr 400 had 45 and yzf 55) mustn't reach 50-52 Hp!!

they are different purpose bikes!! at least in their versatility!

Have nice rides!

JP

Originally posted by joao pedro:

Not in their dreams!! the Xr has 61 HP!! yes You´ve readit 61! the 426 wr (the wr 400 had 45 and yzf 55) mustn't reach 50-52 Hp!!

they are different purpose bikes!! at least in their versatility!

Have nice rides!

JP

61hp? LOL! You'd better bring some evidence JP. Where are you getting this data? I've ridden every XR but the 650R and I can tell you that it (XR400) has no where NEAR 61hp! Even with a 440 kit. :)

Bryan,Steve and Allinson,

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dramus's referral

to an xr is surely about an xr650 ( at least

I think so as this is an xr650 forum and he

mentions the "power up" kit )

Joao from Portugal must agree with me as he is

quoting the crank horsepower figure for our

standard Euro( = american powered up )xr650s.

cheers, Craig

Yea, sorry guys, I was referring to the 650. I guess I needed more sleep.

The numbers that I have seen indicate that the WR426F has about 45 hp, while the XR650R has 49. People tell me that the XR's actually around 38-40 and the 49hp is only when the XR is uncorked. I am not worried about speed as 75-80 mph is plenty for me.

A WR426 probably does make more power than a corked-up XR650R. However, put on the Power Up parts on the 650, and it does have more power than the WR426.

According to Sept. 2000 issue of DIRT BIKE:

WR426: 43.5

XR650: 49.6

Originally posted by Dramus:

Yea, sorry guys, I was referring to the 650. I guess I needed more sleep.

The numbers that I have seen indicate that the WR426F has about 45 hp, while the XR650R has 49. People tell me that the XR's actually around 38-40 and the 49hp is only when the XR is uncorked. I am not worried about speed as 75-80 mph is plenty for me.

Yeah, me too...

For some reason I thought I was on the XR400 forum...

Dramus

The uncorked Xr has much more grunt than the wr or yz. It is a torque monster. I got my KTM 520 the same day a buddie got his XR 650. My bike stock, his uncorked. His was faster in every way, and pulls like a tractor. It is a great desert bike...but a trail bike I think not. It is very heavy, and very top heavy. It is just plain a big bike...to bulky for me. If I had never ridden the KTM, or YZ I would have bought a 650. It would have been better than the XR 350 I was riding.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: YZ400Court ]