For those with a Rekluse Z Start....

How do you shift with that? I am considering one since I ride in terrain that really needs a wide-ratio tranny. But I fail to see how you can shift when under power. As it is now when I am speed shifting I can pull the clutch in, shift and let the clutch out fast enough that the engine doesn't have anytime for the rpm's to fall. The way I see these clutches are that when the engine rpms get low enough then the clutch releases. However if you are slamming through gears with a Z-Start then you need to wait for the rpm's to fall before you can shift. Am I missing something? ?

i have never used the clutch to shift, either before or after my z start. its not needed, and i didnt have to adapt my shifting to the z start.

you "slam through the gears with a z start" just the same way you would slam through the gears on manual clutch bike... unload the tranny and shift. no clutch.

BTW, if you get an auto, you'll be able to run very tall gearing and it will be as close as you'll get to a WR transmission.

BTW, if you get an auto, you'll be able to run very tall gearing and it will be as close as you'll get to a WR transmission.

This is exactly why I am considering a Z-start.

I realize that those that race do not use the clutch but they don't need to worry about blowing a tranny 40 miles away from camp. I have always used the clutch when shifting through the gears just like a car. It can't be good for the tranny to shift with no clutch. ?

I can't decide, the synchros are cheaper to replace over the clutch, but theyre more labor intensive. As for the z-start, I have had mine for about 9 months, and I love it. My hand can hold a cool one a lot better when I am done riding for the day. ? If you think you want one, odds are you will love it. If you are skepticall, odds are you will love it, but won't admit it.

You don't need to use the clutch to shift. I have thousands of hard miles on my 426, and hardly ever used the clutch to shift before, and now never due (rekluse). No problems.

Go check out the shifter kart races. They use a dirtbike 125cc 2 smoke engine and tranny, and only use the clutch for starting. Bangin gears like an F1 car, on pavement, with super sticky tires. NO PROBLEM.

For the guy that's on the fence about the Z-start, just do it. You won't regret it. If you can, try to hook up with some TTers close to you, someone will let you try theirs. Heck, you can try mine!

How do you shift with that? I am considering one since I ride in terrain that really needs a wide-ratio tranny. But I fail to see how you can shift when under power. As it is now when I am speed shifting I can pull the clutch in, shift and let the clutch out fast enough that the engine doesn't have anytime for the rpm's to fall. The way I see these clutches are that when the engine rpms get low enough then the clutch releases. However if you are slamming through gears with a Z-Start then you need to wait for the rpm's to fall before you can shift. Am I missing something? ?

You shift when the transmission is unloaded; when the engine is neither accelating or decelerating. For upshifts, you shift right after backing off the throttle from your accelaration. For downshifts, you blip the throttle slightly and shift. Properly done, this doesn't harm your transmission.

The z-start is a wonderfull thing.

Wow, I had no idea that that many people didn't use the clutch while shifting. No wondor you guys complain about stalling. I might stall my bike once every 20 hours on the bike. But then my middle finger is always resting on the clutch lever so I can feed power with the clutch if needed which, in essence, is exactly what the z-start is doing. I might have to sit on this for awhile. ?

Wow, I had no idea that that many people didn't use the clutch while shifting. No wondor you guys complain about stalling.

i cant remember the last time i stalled my bike. ?

But then my middle finger is always resting on the clutch lever so I can feed power with the clutch if needed which, in essence, is exactly what the z-start is doing.

thats not exactly what the z start does. nothing will replace the human part of the equation. if you want to flick the clutch, the z start wont read your mind.

So is the shifting notchy with the Rekluse? I know I am probably stressing over nothing since the bikes are probably designed to be used without a clutch but lets face it.... it is much easier to replace the clutch plates then to tear the trans apart and replace the syncros......

The bikes shifts even under power like a Hot knife through soft butter.

I have the 2000 426, I only useed he cluthc for stoping and starting. No I dont have to do either ? :cry: The 426/450 is meant to be shifted in any occasion remember it is built to race

The Zstart is adding the final piece of perfection to a almost pefect bike. To me Now IMO My 2000 426 is perfect

Couple of questions:

1) You can keep the clutch and still use it as normal?

2) Neutral is still the same?

3) What about going up/down hills? It will free roll backward if the stalls on a hill right? Any fix for that?

4) What about doing wheelies? better or worse?

5) Is it good for all types of riding or just track? I ride mostly off road and desert? Bet it kicks ass on comp hill ?

6) Do you still keep all the clutch plates and pressure plates?

7) So, basically it's just like my daughters XR50?

Ed

Couple of questions:

Not sure what you mean, but the rekluse replaces your normal clutch

2) Neutral is still the same?

Yes

3) What about going up/down hills? It will free roll backward if the stalls on a hill right? Any fix for that?

Dont stallon a hill ? I have not stalled the bike since I have the Clutch on, Brakes stop you from rolling. Whats awesome is to stop on a hill ask if thee guy who crashed is ok, Wave at him with your clutch arm as your power off, then look back to see him picking dirt off his tounge ?

4) What about doing wheelies? better or worse?

No differance, In my opinion more better

5) Is it good for all types of riding or just track? I ride mostly off road and desert? Bet it kicks ass on comp hill ?

I have riden mainly woods, I rode Gorman with it and liked it allot. I am going o gorman again, with the harder spring this time. I prefer the stiffer spring for woods

6) Do you still keep all the clutch plates and pressure plates?

Rekluse comes with its own plates, you retain your OEM Fiber plates, you will have to adjust the install gap with the rekluse plates (.055 Thousands of an inch plates OEM Yamaha are .047) Install is a breeze just read the instruc carefully a few times before starting

7) So, basically it's just like my daughters XR50?

ya but with 40 Plus HP ? :cry:

Ed

Dont stallon a hill ? I have not stalled the bike since I have the Clutch on, Brakes stop you from rolling. Whats awesome is to stop on a hill ask if thee guy who crashed is ok, Wave at him with your clutch arm as your power off, then look back to see him picking dirt off his tounge ?

Yep - I knew that was coming !!

I prefer the stiffer spring for woods

Stiffer springs change the slippage of the clutch? How fgast it kicks in?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes you can keep the manual lever to overide the engagement should you desire. There always seems to be a lot of controversy on these auto clutches, here is my take. If you are not racing for a living or at the top level, the autos are a wonderful thing. They do have a few negatives, such as the freewheeling backwards should you stall it but you cant stall it unless it isnt set up right. You would literally have to hit the kill switch. I buried the rear in the dirt on an uphill, got off while it was still idling in gear, stood around for a minute (because I could) got back on and took off! I could have never started it on that hill and I would have had to bulldog it to turn around. I actually think it would be best in desert or woods more than the track. The tracks always seem to have a jump right after a very slow corner, that is the only time you might need to touch a lever or fan the clutch. I dont run a lever so I cant do that. Hasnt been a problem but you are aware of it. Otherwise I love it!