HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian_G

Crank seal replacement????

2 posts in this topic

hi i have a 1991 honda cr125 and this bike is notorious for having a bad left crank seal. i have everything(flywheel puller, the seal, service manual) and i need some advice if any of you have had this bike(if you have switched from 2 to 4) and done this repair or anyone who has done a left crank seal. the manual helps but is vaigue on exactaly what i have to remove in order th get to the seal.and will the timing need to be reset? i dont want to make anyone mad by asking for info at a 4 stroke board while i ride a 2 smoke. just to let you know. thanks!!

Way back in 91 I did a cr500 and it was pretty straightforward like the manual states. I shot everything with liquid wrench a day or so before popping the flywheel/ mag rotor. The Cr is noted for gathering moisture down there and getting rusty behind the flywheel. The seal was just a pop and lube replacement if I remember correctly. Clean the crankshaft with fine emery. The timing is factory set. It can be modified with a timing light and you file the mounting hole to move the pickup but I doubt you would want to do that.