00 426 OIL SELECTION

SUP GUYS. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OIL RECOMENDATIONS WHEN DOING AN OIL CHANGE. I HAVE BEEN USING THE REGULAR YAMAHA 4, BUT WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY BETTER SUGGESTIONS, ALSO WHAT OIL WEIGHT? THANKS! :thumbsup:

You should use (according to Yamaha and other manufacturers of high performance 4 strokes) an oil with a JASO grade of MA, or API SG. Golden Spectra 4 is one such oil, Motorex makes another. If you have an engine with its oil supply separate from its clutch, as with the CRFs, use an MB in the engine and

an MA in the transmission.

Oils graded API SJ or higher should not be used (even, surprisingly, Yamalube 4, it's a street oil), since they contain inferior wear reducing additives (done in order to make the EPA happy), and frequently contain "energy saving" friction modifiers that are detrimental to your clutch.

Some on TT have reported good results using Mobil one 15w-50 with the Red Cap (no energy saving additives), but the oils still do not have the sulfur based wear reducers of an SG oil, and a 50 wt oil is too heavy to circulate fast enough at extreme engine speeds in my opinion, and offers no benefit until ambient temperatures have reached 112 degrees Farenheit (and I don't ride in that kind of weather).

NOT THIS AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!?! :thumbsup:

THis is directly from the Dealer website on the recommended oil for the YZ426FM:

Oil Type: Above 5ºC (40ºF) Yamalube 4, 20W40

Oil Type: Below 15ºC (60ºF) Yamalube 4, 10W30

Capacity: Oil & Filter Change 1.6L (1.7us.qt)

Oil Change Only 1.5L (1.6us.qt)