HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dgrimmy

Best Gearing For Woods?

3 posts in this topic

What is the best gearing for an 2000 XR 600 in the woods? By woods I mean primarily 2nd gear single track riding w/ some pretty good climbs, downhills and switchbacks. Very rarely is there opportunity to let it rip in 3rd or higher but it's occassionally in 1st.

I live in Nort AZ and ride mostly tight woody single track with alot of up and down hills on a xr6. I currently am running a 14 50, tried 13 50 but too low. With 14 50 stays in second most of the time even at near stops.

I personally just run a 13 tooth front sprocket from the stock 14 tooth. Cuts down the top end, but down low it keeps me in second and third more.

So it as at 13-48. Runs really well offroad! just took at 55 mile dualsport ride up to the trees, thru them and back. Bike still tops at 80mph. With a stock tank and am 2/3 the way thru it now. I assume putting back the 14 tooth up front would help mileage a bit. But I am pleased.

[This message has been edited by Matt96xr6 (edited September 29, 2001).]