HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hourout

oil mess 650 r

4 posts in this topic

there has got to be a better way to judge how much oil is in the filler neck and funnel. i just over spilled and watched the oil run down the frame on to the head! now i have smoke all over the place! i only used two qurts.

haha. experience, time and practice.

Make sure after the first quart goes down, you pump the kick starter over a few times. Just go slow and measure often. I have done that a few times on my 600. Hopefully someone will have a better solution than mine.

Hourout,

I can offer you this: the XR650R only holds about 1.8qts of oil. If you try to put 2 in, it will happen every time. :) Matt's suggestion about cycling kick starter is right on. That is how I do it. I put 1qt in, hold the comp. release, kick about 15 times, then top it off. I wish it was easier too. The first time I changed my oil I made a huge mess. It took several months to get the residue out of the radiator fins.

One additional trick I used on my former XR600 was to wrap a rag around the filler tower. That way, when (not if) I spilled, the rag caught the oil, not the fram and head.