edelbrock carbs

I just saw an ad for the quicksilver pumper carbs. I have seen bad reviews on the quicksilvers of the past but the pumper carb is new to me. J peters I know has tried one on his 400 but I am wondering if it was the old carb. If anyone knows anything about these carbs I would like to here.

I have been researching pumper carbs for about 4 months. I talked to Edelbrock last week about their product. Most of their bad rap came from the carbs they sold to KTM. They were smog legal = no performance. I have also spoken to Sudco about the Mikuni TM pumper. Both carbs are kitted for the 650R. Both companies say the carbs will work correctly right out of the box. Edelbrock said they would take my bike into their shop and make it right if I was not happy. I am very hesitant to spend $400-500 on an unproven product. I don't know of any one using the Edelbrock on the 650R. I do know of one person using the Mikuni. He is very happy with it. I feel better about the Mikuni because I have experience with them. BTW, the Edelbrock will not be ready for about 30 days per their Tech guy. I'm buying the Mikuni TM. Hope this helps.

Kevin

00 XR650R

That $285 price is for the non pumper carb. Don't waste you time and $$$ on that. I ended up being the test dummy for White Bros. when they released a non pumper mikuni kit for the DR350. It did not work right, they didn't know how to fix it, finally I bought $75 worth of jets and fixed it myself. A pumper carb should be $400-500 for the kit. A non pumper will bog on snap accel. It can't be jetted out. I'm with you when it comes to buying an unproven product.

I'v been experimenting with a Mikuni TM40-06 pumper carb I had previously used on my Husaberg 600. I have the carb working fairly well but not up to my expectations in all situations. It helps and has more punch off the line and in rapid throttle opening situations. If any forum user gets the current Sudco kit specifically for the XR650R please take it appart and record the main jet, pilot jet, needle jet, needle, needle clip location, number of turns out on the fuel screw (located on the bottom of the Carb), and the approximate pump timing from activation to stop. Mine is set up as follows.

It is on a full HRC power up bike using a full T4 exhaust.

Main jet = 142.5

pilot jet = 17.5

Fuel screw = 2.75 turns out from seated

Needle jet (series 568) - Y6

Needle = 9DJY2

Needle Clip = #4 fron the top

Fuel pump set to start at 1/32 throttle and stop at 1/2 throttle opening.

Altitude sea level to 3500 feet.

Thanks

Clark

In a dirt rider advertisement the edelbrock was supposedly 285.00 for my xr400. I dont know if that is correct or not. I have only heard good things about the mikuni but have yet to actually find someone who has one on there bike. I road a 97 xr250 with the mikuni and detected no flat spots or bogs when riding. The 250 still seemed underpowere to me copared to a 400. I to am weary of spending 370.00 on a carburator that I havent actually tried.

Originally posted by lkr:

In a dirt rider advertisement the edelbrock was supposedly 285.00 for my xr400. I dont know if that is correct or not. I have only heard good things about the mikuni but have yet to actually find someone who has one on there bike. I road a 97 xr250 with the mikuni and detected no flat spots or bogs when riding. The 250 still seemed underpowere to me copared to a 400. I to am weary of spending 370.00 on a carburator that I havent actually tried.

For the 400 The Pumper Carb is the ONly way to go! Worth the $370... I would call it BOLTON 5HP at least! Period.

I just need somthing to help this 650R get better mileage. I call it the Big Red 7-11 "SLURPEE MOBILE!".

[This message has been edited by jpeters (edited 08-09-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased the edelbrock carb for my XR400 and it was a night and day differance over my fcr i had complete control over adjusting my throttle response with a trick screw in floatbowl and my bike responds out of corners like a two stroke, not to mention the low mid and top end power gain out of the box with no jet changes I am so pleased I am going to put it on my XR250R when thy are available next month. I also talked to the techs at edelbrock before i made the move and the one thing I was impressed by was that they stand by there product and the know what they are all talking about because they all race and use the carb

Hello,

I just came accross you post while browsing,

While I don't own a xr650

I do have a KTM400 that came stock with the quicksilver non-pumper carb. I have to tell you that I would not recommend it to anyone.

I even sent the carb was sent back to edelbrock for the off road option ( internal vents removed) because it ran so bad.

It would foul more plugs than you ever thought possible with that choke design.

Well even with the off- road option ,it still ran like crap. Edelbrock suggested that I send it back and they would add the pumper circuit for more $$, but I saw alot bad of posts on www.groups.yahoo.com/ktm. I decided not to go that way. I did buy a keihin fcr pumper carb kit from sudco at www.sudco.com and the bike has been great ever since.

Maybe the new QS pumper carb is better, but I wouldn't spend all that money to find out.

Originally posted by catchdirt:

I have just purchased the edelbrock carb for my XR400 and it was a night and day differance over my fcr i had complete control over adjusting my throttle response with a trick screw in floatbowl and my bike responds out of corners like a two stroke, not to mention the low mid and top end power gain out of the box with no jet changes I am so pleased I am going to put it on my XR250R when thy are available next month. I also talked to the techs at edelbrock before i made the move and the one thing I was impressed by was that they stand by there product and the know what they are all talking about because they all race and use the carb

How much did you pay for the carb? Will they refund your money if your not satisfied?

I HAVE A 97 XR400 WIH A EDELBROCK PUMPER CARB AND I WORKS GREAT,,I HAVE NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE CARB. THE PUMP IS FULLEY ADJUSTABLE AND ADJUSTING FOR ELEVATION IS A SNAP. TAKES ALITTLE GETTING USE TO BUT WHAT DOESN'T. EDELBROCK HAS GREAT TECH. HELP AND GOES THE EXTRA MILE FOR THERE CUSTOMERS

Originally posted by gtms34:

I have been researching pumper carbs for about 4 months. I talked to Edelbrock last week about their product. Most of their bad rap came from the carbs they sold to KTM. They were smog legal = no performance. I have also spoken to Sudco about the Mikuni TM pumper. Both carbs are kitted for the 650R. Both companies say the carbs will work correctly right out of the box. Edelbrock said they would take my bike into their shop and make it right if I was not happy. I am very hesitant to spend $400-500 on an unproven product. I don't know of any one using the Edelbrock on the 650R. I do know of one person using the Mikuni. He is very happy with it. I feel better about the Mikuni because I have experience with them. BTW, the Edelbrock will not be ready for about 30 days per their Tech guy. I'm buying the Mikuni TM. Hope this helps.

Kevin

00 XR650R

I bought it from Golden west cycle for $390.00 , I will contact the tech support tomorrow to see what the return policy s and get back to you, but take my advice you will be pleased with the results!!!

Originally posted by lkr:

How much did you pay for the carb? Will they refund your money if your not satisfied?

[This message has been edited by catchdirt (edited 08-23-2001).]

i PERSONALLY RACE IN THE bIG 6 GRAND PRIX SERIES AND KNOW FOR A FACT THE #1 FOUR STROKE PLATE BELONGS TO A GUY WHO RACES AN XR 650R WITH EDELBROCK CARB ON HIS BIKE. ALSO I WAS ON A WEBSITE CALLED atv illistrated.com and there is a quad with a 650R in a custom chasis that has a edelbrock carb on it

Originally posted by gtms34:

ooops

[This message has been edited by gtms34 (edited 08-09-2001).]