HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt96xr6

steering stem bearing packing, tips needed

3 posts in this topic

Hey all. 1996 Xr600. I had to beat the bearings off the bottom of the stem this morning. That sucked! But it was not a bearing anymore, rather a bushing!

Any tips on packing that sucker in there? Mostly to keep mud and water out? Thanks

FYI, I do have a new bearing and seals on order and a bearing cone packer that I am using synthetic grease.

Originally posted by Matt96xr6:

Hey all. 1996 Xr600. I had to beat the bearings off the bottom of the stem this morning. That sucked! But it was not a bearing anymore, rather a bushing!

Any tips on packing that sucker in there? Mostly to keep mud and water out? Thanks

FYI, I do have a new bearing and seals on order and a bearing cone packer that I am using synthetic grease.

Call Dan at Precision Motorcycle repair, tell I'm told you to call.

His number is 805 967 6163.

He's done this job for me on a couple bikes.

ok thanks! will do monday. Just want to make sure that I do the best job that I can to keep the mud and water out of there. I am sure there are some tips to help that beyond tear it down after every ride.

Just bought the bike early in the year, and I should have done it when I bought the bike.

oh well, $30 for new bearings later.....