HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BugTeeth

Chains

5 posts in this topic

I know the BRP requires a continuous chain. I live in Panama and selection of parts is a luxury, usually you take what you can get. I bought a DID standard 520 non O ring chain with a master link hoping it will work in a crunch and carrying it as a spare,$25 from a small bike shop. Now that I`ve got it I`m second guessing myself. Is this thing going to snap on me the first time. The question is input aka tales of glory or woe on this type of chain. I looked at the DID website and this seems to be their bottom tier product. Maybe I should can this one and go looking for a good racing chain.

00 650R FMF full titanium system, K&N

I used a ERT Gold chain on the Oinker for a short time to see if I could feel the extra pull of a non O-ring chain. I used and stacked master link to make it an endless chain. It wore real fast! Not nearly as good a pick as the ERV2 and I will not do it again. The ERT chain is much stronger then the chain you got!

It will work fine as a backup, but it will stretch & wear out faster than the DID X-ring type chains (i.e. VM & ERV2). You can either run the staked link (stock Honda setup) or use a master link, which is still very strong. A down side to the master link is the potential for the clip to come off, but if that's not a concern, then you should be fine with a master link. There's plenty of people here on TT and other groups using a master link with their X-ring chains on their XR650R's.

i've used the ERV2 with the masterlink for a couple seasons. No issues with chain falling off...

I too use the DID X ring type chains. They do not stretch and last forever. I use a master link and have never had a clip fall off yet. My honda dealer lets me use his stake tool when I want a continuous link type chain so I have the option to go either way. I use his stake tool whenever I wanna add links. I do not like the idea of two master links in one chain.