HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewBee

Winter Storage

11 posts in this topic

My WR450F will be stored in the shed for the winter. My concern is the radiatot coolant. It is good for a temperature of -20 degrees celcius, but here we can get temperatures as low as -50 or -60. What should I do in this extreme condition? :thumbsup::devil:

keep it in the living room,like a good owner! put a backrest on the seat and you can sit on it and watch T.V.! my family is from Nova Scotia,thats one reason i moved south :thumbsup:

In the manual it also says to take the spark plug out and drop a bit of oil in on to the piston, and replace spark plug.

:thumbsup:

I know about the oil in the piston but my biggest concern is the engin coolant freezing. I think what i may do is drain the coolant and replace it with total antifreeze no water. And when the spring hits I'll change it back to a 50:50 ratio before i use her. What do u think?

:devil::thumbsup:

Instead of putting the bike away for the winter, you should see if a TT guy named Frosbite is still around. He lives somewhere in the way north east, and rides all winter in the ice and snow. Use to post some awesome stories and pictures from his frozen tundra experiences. He will surely have some tips for you.

Otherwise, another vote for keeping it in the livingroom. You can tinker with the bike all winter and have it in tip top shape when it thaws up there.....

I think that I may have to store it in the house or buy a new one with a garage. I am sweriously considering the living room idea though. Thanks :devil::thumbsup:

Instead of putting the bike away for the winter, you should see if a TT guy named Frosbite is still around. He lives somewhere in the way north east, and rides all winter in the ice and snow. Use to post some awesome stories and pictures from his frozen tundra experiences. He will surely have some tips for you.

Otherwise, another vote for keeping it in the livingroom. You can tinker with the bike all winter and have it in tip top shape when it thaws up there.....

Just flew back today. I rode a Hog down to Sturgis for the rally but the heat was too much! I'll take the cold any day.

Polaris pre-mix antifreeze is runny down to -54. Remember that the wind chill doesn't count, you go by the straight up temperature. But why store it in the first place?

powder.jpg

Sno Riding is the bomb!

soft_lake_2.jpg

I think what i may do is drain the coolant and replace it with total antifreeze no water. And when the spring hits I'll change it back to a 50:50 ratio before i use her. What do u think?

:devil::thumbsup:

There's no point in refilling it with pure antifreeze. Simply drain it, then refill it next spring.