HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keyser_Zoze

Warm Up With NO THERMOSTAT

5 posts in this topic

Anyone care to comment on warming up the 650R with no thermostat? Please help...

Start it, let it run for 3-5 minutes, ride it. This works for me. If it's cold, 45-50 degrees, I have to turn up the idle or stay with the bike till it warms up. Mine lets me know if I ride too soon. It bogs like a loaded up two stroke.

Good luck,

Kevin

Thanks!

Does it run that much cooler with removal of the thermostat?

Already changed to a 1.8lb cap.

Originally posted by KBeach:

Start it, let it run for 3-5 minutes, ride it. This works for me. If it's cold, 45-50 degrees, I have to turn up the idle or stay with the bike till it warms up. Mine lets me know if I ride too soon. It bogs like a loaded up two stroke.

Good luck,

Kevin

The thermostat sticks approx. 1/2 open then the bike overheats. I never even started mine in stock form so I can't compare. It has never overheated.

Good to see you on yahoo. Much more info there for the XR650R.

Kevin

It warms-up the same as any other water cooled dirt bike, as none of the others have a thermostat. The reason they overheat is the stat sticks half open. Don't worry about the flow after removing the thermostat, the inlet to the housing is smaller than the area thru the thermostat. While your at it run a mid 90's KX500 rad. cap (1.6 bar). If you still overheat (boilover) run Redline Waterwetter (avail. at Pep Boys) and run the 68S pilot jet.