HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncmountainman

left side case cover 04 wr

7 posts in this topic

are they magnesium or alum.? i know the clutch cover is mag.(cuz it says so!) but can't find any info about the left side. i want to know so i can cut the nub off (where my starter used to be) and have it welded up. if it is mag. can you weld the stuff? i know that it ignites at a certain temp. could be a problem! :thinking:thanx for the help

As far as I know, all the dark grayish parts are magnesium. This would be the LH side case. Hey, you've deleted your starter, want to sell it? I'd like to have a spare. :thumbsup::devil:

already sold it before i even got it all off! sorry. the gray is just paint i don't know if that designates magnesium or not? :thumbsup:

Bob, I meant "all the gray painted parts" I beleive are magnesium. :thumbsup: so I'm pretty sure the LH side is, but not 100% on it.

99% sure it's aluminum. a couple guys have welded up the hole for the starter with no report of problems. the side cover only costs about $100. pretty cheap if it's mag.

cool, i was hoping it was alum. i did the scratch test on the valve cover and the side cover,and the valve cover is harder. off to the welding shop! thanx :thumbsup:

just got back from the welder shop and it is aluminum,in fact the feller said fairly high quality at that(welded nicely). so the nub is gone! with a little grinding it'll look like it was never there. used a piece of the round cover to fill the hole,worked nicely. probly lost almost a lb. just cuttin the crap off. :thumbsup: