HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smegol

Clear coating polished rims

7 posts in this topic

Hey,

For some reason I decided to give my dull rims a polish (long story) and am now stuck with some very chromed rims which actually look pretty good. However I don't want to have to keep polishing them to hold the mirror like finish so I was wondering if anyone knows of a type of clear coat that would be tough enough to resist the scratches and abuse that a rim must endure? So far i've just tried some cheap automotive clear coat which was useless. I could peel the stuff off like glad-wrap. Any ideas on what would be suitable?

Thanks.

For any kind of paint or clear to stick, the surface has to be scuffed up. It simply will NOT stick to a slick surface.

Right, and no way is any coating gonna last on rims; sand and stones eat it up in a second (unless it is a showroom bike) :thumbsup:

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

You can have the rims powdercoated clear which will be very durable. I did my clutch cover and it turned out great and is still like a mirror finish. My boots can't even scratch it up.

IMG_0026.jpg

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

I totally forgot about that stuff till this post. That stuff is the shiznit! :thumbsup: