Clear coating polished rims

Hey,

For some reason I decided to give my dull rims a polish (long story) and am now stuck with some very chromed rims which actually look pretty good. However I don't want to have to keep polishing them to hold the mirror like finish so I was wondering if anyone knows of a type of clear coat that would be tough enough to resist the scratches and abuse that a rim must endure? So far i've just tried some cheap automotive clear coat which was useless. I could peel the stuff off like glad-wrap. Any ideas on what would be suitable?

Thanks.

For any kind of paint or clear to stick, the surface has to be scuffed up. It simply will NOT stick to a slick surface.

Right, and no way is any coating gonna last on rims; sand and stones eat it up in a second (unless it is a showroom bike) :thumbsup:

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

You can have the rims powdercoated clear which will be very durable. I did my clutch cover and it turned out great and is still like a mirror finish. My boots can't even scratch it up.

IMG_0026.jpg

I wasn't aware there was clear powder coat !

That's cool :thumbsup:

Nice bike BTW :devil:

Zoop Seal

A friend of mine is in the hotrod business and swears by this stuff...its a little expensive, but a little goes a long way, especially for a motorcycle rim. Some of his polished aluminum rims hes put the stuff on havent been touched in a couple years and they still look like the day they were polished.

I totally forgot about that stuff till this post. That stuff is the shiznit! :thumbsup: