HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madharvic

Hard to keep it going

9 posts in this topic

I have a 03 YZ 450F and all that I do is trail ride. I went to the North Carolina Mountains last weekend and the bike was constantly stalling in sharp tight turns at low RPM's. I did my best to feather the throttle but it still worked me to death. Need some suggestions on how to help with stalling. Heavier flywheel, auto clutch? :thumbsup:

I just put a 13T sprocket on the countershaft today on my YZ and it seems to have lowered the first gear almost perfectly. It was only $15 and took me about 10 minutes to put on.

It was money well spent.

If you look it up in the TT store, the part number is 32513.

And I also only trail ride on mine too. :thumbsup:

When I replaced my WR motor with a YZ motor I swapped the rotors and stators so I could keep my lights. The heavier WR rotor works perfectly with the YZ engine in the tight stuff. I have yet to stall this bike! (unless you count the time I locked the back tire THEN pulled in the clutch) :thumbsup: Anyway, stock gearing works great for the low stuff but leaves me grabbing for a couple more gears....

I have a 03 YZ 450F and all that I do is trail ride. I went to the North Carolina Mountains last weekend and the bike was constantly stalling in sharp tight turns at low RPM's. I did my best to feather the throttle but it still worked me to death. Need some suggestions on how to help with stalling. Heavier flywheel, auto clutch? :devil:

FLYWHEEL FLYWHEEL FLYWHEEL anything over 8oz will help you tremendously :thumbsup:

I hear that the flywheel is the way to go to help prevent stalling. I only trail ride with mine also and when I went to a 13/51 sprocket setup the stalling virtually went away.

Flog

Heavier flywheel weight and turn the idle up a bit.

...are the cure for your problems. Even Yamaha added weight to the flywheel of the YZ450 starting in '04. When comparing flywheels, note that there are 2 ways to add weight: bolt-on or built-on (welded in some cases). Bolt on weights have to have a center for the bolts to bolt to, so some of their weight is at their centers, and is very ineffctive in increasing the inertia of the crank. Yamaha's GYT-R (5oz) and Dr.D 's (4, 6, & 8oz) are rings added to the outside of the flywheel, so all of their weight is located in the most effective place it can be. The result is that built-on flywheel weights are considerably lighter for any given amount of added inertia.

It is also absolutely true that neither Yamaha nor the Dr.D weight will ever fall off the flywheel.

Oh, yeah, and turn your idle up, and learn to use the clutch in the really tight stuff. :thumbsup:

Clutch control adjust fuel screw so it run's good off idle 10 oz. flymheel.You drop A couple teeth on the rear not to much it will mess up the rest of your gearing or you put a WR gear bow in it like i did :thumbsup::devil: