XR600 vs XR650

• 4 years later...

Well, it's completely diferent! 1 year ago I made the step after riding more then 20 years XR's 600 and must say I had my problems. The first month I had problems with handling ( havy at the front) the bike bud after this period you are happy that your changed of bike. Regarding power and speed the 650 is incredible!! Till now I have now regret

Good luck and much fun,

Werner :naughty:

Ive said this before but I think the two bikes are more different than you think. The XR650R has huge horsepower, a higher centre of gravity (thanks to the radiators) plus more weight and LESS ground clearance, making it less than ideal in the tight going. In the open going though ie desert riding you can use the power and chassis to much better effect.

So when you ask wether an XR650R is better than an XR600R, it depends on where you're riding. In the tight, the XR600 is more forgiving with its quicker steering, less power (equals less wheelspin) plus the lower centre of gravity/more ground clearance. For desert riding I'd go for a 650R in a heartbeat, it pulls an easy 160 km/h (100 mph) stock, has the modernish suspension and a rigid aluminium chassis. The thing is though, us old XR6 owners really wanted a new XR600 that was at least a bit lighter (maybe 15 pounds) as well as having better power and suspension etc, maybe one day we'll get it.

I owned both bikes too. The XR600 felt heavier and bulkier though they are very close in weight. I do not really think there is all that much difference in ground clearance. I ride the Xr650R in tight stuff tight stuff all the time. Let me suggest this. If you plan on doing a lot of tight stuff put a Rekluse E-Zstart autoclutch. It's like cheating and reduces the weight issue except when you dump it. There is no way to disquise the weight when the bike is laying on it's side.

There are a trememdous amount of after market mods that can be made to the bike as you go. Even an electric start which is sweet. And the Edelbrock carb adds another demension that Honda should have put in the stock bike.

Oh yeah, my XR650R would clean my XR600's clock any day. There was no contest. Its simple matter of cc's and hp. :naughty:

Yes, the 650R is far superior to the old 600. Especially in terms of handling and power. Even though they weigh about the same, the 650R (uncorked of course), is extremely powerful in comparison to the 600, and feels lighter.

An uncorked/re-jetted 650R produces quite a bit more power, and it's not the smooth, torquey pull of the old 600, but instead, the 650R produces a very abrupt, sudden type of acceleration (sort of like a YZ450F, but with more torque). It also feels similar to the CR500 or KX500, which are both big-bore two strokes. It's not as quick as those bikes, but it's pretty close.

The old XR600 is not even in the same league as the 650R, not even close.

I agree with you guys in what you say in relation to the power/suspension between these two bikes, the 650R will eat the 600R for breakfast in these areas of performance big time!

But imagine yourself on slick, tight trails ridden with 200-300mm logs (the terrain that I often ride) and the 650R is getting serious uncontrollable wheelspin and getting seriously sideways, then you're riding over those logs and the 650R is casing out on every one of them (thanks to having about 1.5 inches less ground clearance) while the 600 will clear most of them and most likely not spit you off when you dial in 1/4 throttle! While I'm talking about bikes spitting you off, remember the XR6 has no radiators to break and get you stranded miles from home!

What I'm saying is the old XR6 is still better in a few areas here guys.

I agree with you guys in what you say in relation to the power/suspension between these two bikes, the 650R will eat the 600R for breakfast in these areas of performance big time!

But imagine yourself on slick, tight trails ridden with 200-300mm logs (the terrain that I often ride) and the 650R is getting serious uncontrollable wheelspin and getting seriously sideways, then you're riding over those logs and the 650R is casing out on every one of them (thanks to having about 1.5 inches less ground clearance) while the 600 will clear most of them and most likely not spit you off when you dial in 1/4 throttle! While I'm talking about bikes spitting you off, remember the XR6 has no radiators to break and get you stranded miles from home!

What I'm saying is the old XR6 is still better in a few areas here guys.

Everyone has a differnt opinion, Throttle control.... :D

I have rode both and I would not step back, I ride my BRP in tite stuff all the time and it always gets me back to the truck........

Either way XR's rule hands down.... :naughty::naughty:

Ive said this before but I think the two bikes are more different than you think. The XR650R has huge horsepower, a higher centre of gravity (thanks to the radiators) plus more weight and LESS ground clearance, making it less than ideal in the tight going. In the open going though ie desert riding you can use the power and chassis to much better effect.

So when you ask wether an XR650R is better than an XR600R, it depends on where you're riding. In the tight, the XR600 is more forgiving with its quicker steering, less power (equals less wheelspin) plus the lower centre of gravity/more ground clearance. For desert riding I'd go for a 650R in a heartbeat, it pulls an easy 160 km/h (100 mph) stock, has the modernish suspension and a rigid aluminium chassis. The thing is though, us old XR6 owners really wanted a new XR600 that was at least a bit lighter (maybe 15 pounds) as well as having better power and suspension etc, maybe one day we'll get it.

Mate you know I'm bias but I agree with you. My heavily modded XR628 rocks . The 650 is too much for Victorian High Country Trailirding. The 628 does it all. Yes it's a big bike but the 650 is bigger.

I recall sidetrack doing a test of the 95 XR600 versus the then new KLX650R. They hated the 650R. The KLX was heavy fat and most of all poor quality.

You know what tough when the new XR650R came out I often think of that test. Honda made a KLX. The build quality is better but all the things they complianed about with the KLX are there in the XR.

I think the 600v650 debate is not comparing apples with apples. Clealry the XR650R is NOT as versatile as the XR600/628 was. The 600 is perhaps the most ledgendary bike every made. It was a big mans bike that was made well and went all day.

The 650R is in no wayt better in the tight. Honda has deliberatley made it a high speed machine. The XR600 will eat it in thr tight mountain trails.

Both bikes leave you flogged at the end of the day though.

how can you say this with a straight face? :naughty:

have you actually ridden a CR or KX 500? :naughty:

Well now I own them both also. My KX500 does not have the top speed of my XR650R. But it is a fun bike anyway. For me riding a two stroke has always been more work than a four. But I'm not about to get rid of my KX any time soon.

Ok, yeah I shouldn't have said that, it's not really true at all. I do have a KX500 and it will easily embarass my 650R very badly in a straight line, and in the tight stuff too. pretty much anywhere, no comparison, your right.

KX500B.jpg1ac87b50.jpg

as i told nick: it's all gearing.

i have no doubt that a 650 with stock gearing will eventually pass a KX/CR500.

rmhrc630- Good to know that someone sees where I'm coming from! I've ridden all types of dirtbikes from WR400/426's, big mean two-strokes and some good ones (ie ktm200/250exc being the pick), KLX650's, TTR600, motocrossers and of course actually owned a swag of XR's including a 650R, 400R,250R and must say that I still think fondly of the old XR6 because it did everything acceptably well and had NO weak points. Where other bikes shine in one area or another, the XR6 did -and is still doing- it all (just like the XR4 and XR250 now), and if you look over the 15 years of it's model run, it just kept dominating the opposition on the racetrack and in the showroom (of course until little brother XR4 finally turned up in '96) like no other dirt-bike ever has before. No wonder they called it "The Red King".

I just went from a 600r to a 650r and feel that the power of the 650 is its strength and the handling/steering of the 600 is its strength.

With some fine tuning i'm sure i'll get my 650 to handle as well as my old 600 but its not there yet.

I say go with the 650 just for the newer technology, the AL frame is nice, way stiffer. radaitors keep it cool.

at the same time the 600 is a great buy too.

Which is better-Nothing is better than either when they are in their element!

And no more talk about top speed! Who cares? most bikes go way faster than the rider wants to or is willing to go!

Mike

A couple years ago a dirt bike magazine did some testing of the KX500, 525EXC and XR650R. They were not allowed to modifiy any of the engines except to uncork the stock exhaust and rejet. They also could take things off the bikes to make them lighter and they could change the sprockets to any sizes they wanted. Other than that they had to leave them stock. No after market cams or carberators. They wanted the bikes to legitimately be stock with the exceptions of the changes I noted. On the dry lakebed top speed test guess which bike had the fastest speed. Let me give you a clue. It was not the KX500 or the 525EXC. I used to have the magazine article but have since threw it away but I believe the top speed was over 120 mph. Anyone else remember this article?

The KX500 won out in two other catagories with the KTM so close in all catagories that you wouldn't want to count it out. The other two bikes did not even come close to the Hondas top speed. One of them hit 107 mph and the other was like 113 or something like that.

So now all you have decide is did the magazine article lie? Did they even test the bikes or did someone just sit down and make up a story?

I own all three of the bikes in question and I believe the article. :naughty:

Is the 650 superior to the old 600?

Or can you go just as fast on the 600

I have had my 650R for about five years now...after five years with my previous 600. The newer bike is better in just about every concievable way except for perhaps fuel range! It is definitely thirstier. The old 600 was a great old bike but getting dated by the end of it's production run. The newer bike feels much lighter and more stable in almost all conditions, despite them being close in weight on paper. Whether either of them can be considered nimble or not is another story! In the faster stuff, it becomes even more pronounced as the old steel frame gets a little flexy when you start pressing. Engine performance is no comparison...the old 600 was starting to get outpaced by 400's.

I original was just hoping for a re-tooled and shrink wrapped next generation air cooled 600, as was done with the 250 in 96. As it turned out there was nothing to fear from the 650R. And no doubt it will soon be time for a next generation CRF600X. Happy button, some weight loss? We can only hope!

I have had my 650 for close to 5 yrs like some of the others here. My 95 600 was a problem bike by the time 1998 rolled around, clutch replacement, top end, shifting fork and stuck in 1st gear, bad rear hub, and always looking for performance mods, suspensions, gearing, pipes, porting, which equals more $. My 650 has been great since from day one, just change oil, filters, tires and go. So I feel the 650 is more reliable than the 600 unless radiator damage occurs.