XR650R dual sport sugestions?

I just struck a deal with one of my riding buddies to trade my 96 XR280 and some cash for his 00 XR650R.

The plan is to buy a dual sport kit for it and ride it back and forth to work and some trail riding here in IL and some dual sport events.

I have an XR400 for tighter trails and HareScramble racing, so I thought this would be a great dual sport bike.

Does anyone have ane suggestions on what kit to buy and what else might come in handy on a long dual sport ride?

The Baja Designs kit is very well put together. Instructions are excellent! About the only thing I dont like is the rear brake light switch.

http://www.bajadesigns.com

If I were to do it again, I would pass on the front headlight and signals. Order some handguards with turn lights in them, and then convert the stock XR light to a hi-lo 55w unit. I am also going to pick up an ignition switch.

Check here for a LOT of cool parts. Be sure to browse the pages.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/DSkits.html

I went mostly Baja Design for street legalizing my new 03' XR650R but didn't buy the entire kit for the very reason Matt pointed out since I bought hydraulic brake switches for my rear brake light at my local Honda dealer. Matt, any more info on where to find the handguard w/turn lights and the how-to on converting the stock XR light to hi-lo?

this is something im very interested in. i would like to convert my 86 600r

The BD kit on mine works well, but since I don't have to run turn signals here in AZ, I would have been fine building my own kit using better components. For minimal legality, I would have the headlight switch on the headlight shroud & a grounding push kill button type switch for the horn.

The only real gripes with the BD kit are the floppy tailight & the weak headlight, other than that it actually works pretty well. It's kinda fun to honk the horn at your buddy when he slows up on a trail!

I am pleased with my BD kit as well, plug and play type installation. I also bought one of those ICO speedo units from BD... works great!

Here in Oregon using the TrailTech Enduro computer works well with the DMV for a running speedometer and odometer

I have tried:

- making my own dual sport kit from other websites parts lists (TT's does not offer the parts separately for this).

- Dual Sport America's kit: had issues with the kit and the company

- Trick Dual Sport: good, but ugly (to me)

- Baja Designs: I keep going back to thier kit for a few reasons:

Customer support. You call, they answer, they know the product.

Build quality: thicker wire in the harness, long leads, better terminations, etc.

Looks: clean and tidy

Availability: everywhere, including TT.

If I were to do it again, I would pass on the front headlight and signals. Order some handguards with turn lights in them, and then convert the stock XR light to a hi-lo 55w unit. I am also going to pick up an ignition switch.

do you have any more info on the conversion for the stock xr headlight?

has any one used the procycle kits?

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskitnew.htm#buildyourharness

BD... :thumbsup:

I have tried:

- making my own dual sport kit from other websites parts lists (TT's does not offer the parts separately for this).

- Dual Sport America's kit: had issues with the kit and the company

- Trick Dual Sport: good, but ugly (to me)

- Baja Designs: I keep going back to thier kit for a few reasons:

Customer support. You call, they answer, they know the product.

Build quality: thicker wire in the harness, long leads, better terminations, etc.

Looks: clean and tidy

Availability: everywhere, including TT.

For commuting I suggest a bigger tank, IMS 4.6 is great. And a 200 watt stator is something worth having so you can have bright lights, I love mine.