HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrome-crf

Will a 400 clutch basket fit in a 426?

3 posts in this topic

If so, are they the same or not? I thought I heard a while ago that the older bikes had bad clutches in them? Were they referring to the whole thing or just the plates and pressure plate setup?

If so, are they the same or not? I thought I heard a while ago that the older bikes had bad clutches in them? Were they referring to the whole thing or just the plates and pressure plate setup?

The 426 has one extra set of clutch plates compared to the 400.

It is possible, if not likely, that a 400 basket w/ the rest of a complete 400 clutch will go right in. The total throw from the clutch pushrod may not match the location of the clutch boss...

What you may be remembering is very widespread criticism about the '00 YZ 426 clutch, the first year to add the extra plate. The '00 clutch chatters and grabs. The '01 is like butter in comparison, the only difference is Yamaha replaced the innermost plate pair w/ a spring-like ring piece and a solid friction plate. This is a very popular retrofit for '00 owners due to its low cost and remarkable benefit, and there are many, many threads here about this swap.

Hope this helps.