WR426F vs XR650R

I will be buying one of these bikes in the next 2 months and am looking for experienced advice. Thanks.

The XR is loaded with power.Everywhere. It doesn't care what gear its in, just turn the throttle and it goes. The only time it shows its weight is in the technical stuff. If you are going to spend most of your time going slow through this type of terrain you probably don't want the 650. I have never ridden the WR, but from what I have read, it sounds like it's more particular about what gear it's in. As far as the handling on the WR, I don't know. I don't compete too much on the XR, I just play on a wide variety of terrain. The Big Red Pig and I get along just fine that way.

I decided on the 650R over the YZ426 based on these criteria:

1. I ride/race mostly open desert, high plains, courses that are 80% 100mph+ straits with intermittent slow sections and 20% tight windy hills and berms through trees. The 650R is untouchable in this arena!

2. I am a big guy (6ft, 230lbs) The fit of the 650R is better for me. And frankly between the weight and the power of the 650R it demands you to be strong enough to keep it in check under hard riding.

3. I am sold on Honda reliability! I have owned/raced XRs for years and if frequency of maintanance is any factor for you I highly recommend the 650R again.

4. Finally, POWER POWER POWER!!! any gear. any RPM. Just twist and hang on!!

Get the XR man. You need the XR, it's calling you, can't you hear it? ROB ROB come buy me Rob. My XR650R spanked a 426 today.HAHAHAHAHA I love this bike.

man i've been spanking my mates 6.5 on my drz-s (modified a touch!) all last weekend.

its a quality, not cubes thing !!! :)

You said it Stewie!

I saw a guy on a '94 dr350S spank a guy on a new WR426 last weekend!

There is such thing as too much bike for some people.

Bring that DR **** on! You will get a spanking by a xr6 any day of the week! woods, trails, fireroads, jumps, bring it on!

I can ride the xr6 faster in the tight stuff than I can my cr250. A lot of it is getting the right bike that you can handle and then setting the suspension up properly. The XR6 just pulls power from anywhere in the powerband. Very easy to ride too fast in the tight stuff.

matt96xr6.

are u radged or wot ???? nasty xr6 against my drx, roost city baby, you will be picking gravel out of your helmet for weeks !!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahah

stu xx :):D

Plus the XR comes with a class 3 trailer hitch. I hear you can also order the optional tail and waist gunner. That way you can shoot at those pesky Yamahas as they run circles around you.

hrm, that is why Scott summers wins so many hare scrambles. tailguns. damn, learn something new every day!

Currently I am bikeless, and looking at the XR650, DR-z and Wr426, I

owned a WR400 for 2 years, i also rode my buddy's Xr650 with a power up

kit as well, The WR pulls just as strong, and revs quicker, but feels much

lighter.

The question is- where you gonna ride the most? If it includes any jumps,

river crossing, hill climbs, do not get the Xr650. Why ? Too heavy, bottoms

too easy, too heavy... picture yourself- not making it up the hill and walking

down that beast, you are done for the day( exhausted)

Get stuck in in mud or water- better call a tow truck, you will never get it out.

On the other hand if you will ride it on the road, desert, fast trail, fire roads or

anything other than MX-enduro style riding the XR is the best bike.

don't get me wrong , I am not trashing the Xr650( most likely I buy one in a

few weeks) because the riding style i will pursue.

the Xr650 is an exelent bike, but not for every dirt riding.

So your riding style have to decide what bike to get.

I will ride on the street and abundant dirt rode, the Xr will be a great bike for me.

Dude

Honestly, the weight of the bike is only an issue if you cant handle it. Not trying to say anything to smaller riders, but when Honda first introduced the bike they described the bike as "A big bike for a big person who wants big power", and thats exactly what it is. I am 6foot7 and have no problems muscleing(sp?) it around in the tight stuff. If I were a smaller guy then yeah, I can definately see a problem with the bikes weight but another thing to consider is that when the bike is moving, the weight literally vanishes beneath you, it feels light and nimble ...to me atleast. What it all boils down to is wether or not you can hanlde a heavy bike. If you cant, then it isnt for you, if you can handle it, then get it and enjoy the unlimited power(with HRC KIT ofcourse) because you will absolutely love it far more than any other bike you have ever ridden...I swear :)

Aaron Z

2000 XR650R with HRC Kit(Intake, Baffel and Carb. settings)

You should have ridden a Husky before you bought your Sherman.

The 650 is a bit softly sprung but still capable of jumping. Why do you think you can't make water crossings with it? It won't melt or anything. The XR is an excellent hill climber. I've been up and down gobs of hills and sandstone steps with no trouble. Never heard of walking a bike downhill before, how can that be easier than riding it down? I love my XR and everyone who has ridden it got off grinning from ear to ear.

The question is- where you gonna ride the most? If it includes any jumps,

river crossing, hill climbs, do not get the Xr650. Why ? Too heavy, bottoms

too easy, too heavy... picture yourself- not making it up the hill and walking

down that beast, you are done for the day( exhausted)

Get stuck in in mud or water- better call a tow truck, you will never get it out.

On the other hand if you will ride it on the road, desert, fast trail, fire roads or

anything other than MX-enduro style riding the XR is the best bike.

don't get me wrong , I am not trashing the Xr650( most likely I buy one in a

few weeks) because the riding style i will pursue.

the Xr650 is an exelent bike, but not for every dirt riding.

So your riding style have to decide what bike to get.

I will ride on the street and abundant dirt rode, the Xr will be a great bike for me.

Dude

[/b]

MY XR 430 RIPS 650's and wR426's a new A$$.

[This message has been edited by sKiNNyWhEaT (edited 03-24-2001).]

flip a coin :)

Hey Rob,

I just got the 426..opted for the yz and not the wr but I can speak to the motor. With the wr you would need to make a few mods to get all the umph you can (take off the throttle limiter and move the cam one tooth to the plus side) and then you have the most wheel lifting machine on the dirt.

I too have loved the xrs but once you go blue you never go back! I suggest test riding one of each if the shops will let you and see for yourself. You will see immediately why the yamaha is soo popular right now. Especially the '01 with the lighter titanium valves...really gets the rpms up if you know what I mean.

Yeah...all the die hard XR lovers will try to tell you that they are riding the best machine but that's what guys with ugly wives say too...cuz they're stuck with it...(no offense guys :-)

My yz426 really rips!!!

Per this months Dirt Bike magazine shootout of the big thumpers talking about the XR650R:

"..it has a very narrow focus. IT is absolutely the best machine ever for racing Baja or any place where there are twisty fireroads and fast trails. But in the other hand, it's out if it's element in tight enuros and on gnarly, low speed goat trails".

In a picture going down a steep hill it says:

"That's Spud on the 300-pounder (Honda XR650R) pointing down the steep part of the hill. He drew the short straw". In the picture he's the only one with his foot down.

The favorite bike was the $7248.00 KTM520 EXC, it appears that the second choice was the $6199.00 WR426F. The Honda is $5999.00.

I guess it gets down to what you plan to do. I personally own the WR426F. I have owned a KX500, and a KDX200. I have extensively ridden a KTM 380 EXC, KX250, and XR400. Have tried the DRZ400. Never been on the 650 or KTM 520. MY OPINION ONLY is that the DRZ is severely underpowered and undersprung. Hitting whoops I felt like I was on a pogo stick. XR400 was also underpowered and OVERWEIGHT. Funny thing is that the WR426 almost weighs as much, but going down STEEP hills it was VERY scary on the XR400, but not on the WR. KTM 380 felt like a 250 on steroids. Nice bike but not as much low end as I thought it would have. KX500 had gobs of power but was a handfull to ride, and LOTS of vibration. The WR feels right for me. Never thought I'd like a 4-stroke. Flicks around like a 2-stroke, Awesome stock suspension, Motor is smooth, but will loft the front wheel in third gear by just twisting the throttle (And I'm 280lbs.!). Rode it 2 weeks ago in some fairly tight trails, and I just left it in 3rd gear and roosted! What a blast! As I said I haven't ridden the XR650R but if the handling is anything like the XR400, I would choose the WR. My best freind had an XR400 with all the White brothers hopup stuff on it, as well as the KTM 380 I mentioned. The 380 for riding with the guys, the XR for riding with the family and slower guys. He sold both after buying the WR. Decide for yourself depending on what type of riding your going to do. If it's going fast over fireroads and fast trails go with the Honda. If you want to do it all go with the WR or the KTM520.

Brian

[This message has been edited by bhunt (edited 04-01-2001).]