HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steashy27

copper shavings in oil ?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all ,

have bought 00' 426. The last 3 oil changes have

found copper coloured shavings along with the usual metal shavings as per previous postings .Has any one got any ideas .

Have taken off head and cylinder to check crank .NO PLAY and within tolerances .

cheers Steashy27

Oil drain bolt washer may be made of copper (or brass), as well as the frame tank drain bolt washer....other than that I can't think of anything else made of copper/brass? Valve guide/seals? :devil:

Thats a good one....? :thumbsup:

The only thing that I can think of in the motor is the brass bushing in the clutch basket I would look in the clutch Most stuff you find in your oil is from the clutch

The only thing that I can think of in the motor is the brass bushing in the clutch basket I would look in the clutch Most stuff you find in your oil is from the clutch

The clutch would be my first guess too. There is usually a brass bushing attached to the basket. Take it apart and check before something lets go.

Stators have alot of copper in them, it might be a good idea to pull the left cover and take a peek.

I'm not sure about yamaha engines, but in car engines when the crank or rod bearings start to go out, there can be copper looking shavings in the oil!

I'm not sure about yamaha engines, but in car engines when the crank or rod bearings start to go out, there can be copper looking shavings in the oil!

Thats what I was going to say also. I recently bought a remaned 5.0 V8 from S&S Engine. About 2 week after driving it the motor started knocking like crazy at higher rpms. when I took it out of my jeep to send it back there was gold glitter like shaving every where.

As far as dirt bike motors go :thumbsup:

let us know if you find the problem :devil: