Tranny swap

Will the tranny from the new YFZ 450 quad fit in a 426 bottom end? I am planning on putting a YZ426 engine in my quad (found a killer deal on an engine), and was wondering if the quad tranny would work, since it's geared for a 300+ pound quad.

I do not know definitively whether this can be done. My guess is that it is possible, but would require a major amount of custom fitting.

A TT member, SFO, installed a YZ426 5 spd in a YZ450, and according to his description of the process, there was a lot of machine work involved. Most of it was of a fairly minor nature, but certainly not something to attempt in the typical home workshop.

I would imagine that going the other way would be at least as difficult.

Will the tranny from the new YFZ 450 quad fit in a 426 bottom end? I am planning on putting a YZ426 engine in my quad (found a killer deal on an engine), and was wondering if the quad tranny would work, since it's geared for a 300+ pound quad.

What you could do is drop a WR 426 trans into the quad... it's got wider ratios than the YZ and would pull the weight better. Also, ask around both in here and in the YFZ forums and see if someone will post the gear ratios (given in the manual) for all three trannys to see where the differences are.