Anyone using oil filters besides Yamaha OE for $12?

Can anyone recommend an oil filter for my 2003 WR450f besides the $12.00 OE Yamaha ones. I am already aware of the stainless steel ones for $70.00 and am not interested in those right now. I have heard of people using Fram Oil filters that you can buy at Walmart. If you use other brands of oil filters, such as Fram, do you remember the part #?

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

I just bought the scotts oil filter becasue I change my oil ever few rides and those OEM filters are way too pricey... anyway, 70 bucks for the scotts is only like 6 changes with the OEM. For me that is about 3 months or so. If you ride alot, you should reconsider the reusauble filter.

Do you guys change the filter every oil change?? I have done up to now, but its only every 200 miles or so and seemed sensible on a enw bike that was being broken in. It was my intention to change evry other oil change from now on.

(PS I use the hi flow brand too, suplied through my local Yamaha dealer!! They use them on their supermoto bikes).

Most of the guys I ride with ride WR's and won't use a steel filter. Two reasons really. First they don't filter as well as the paper filter. Second, when cleaning the filter there is always a small chance that you may inadvertantly wash particles into the filter instead of out. Of course there are many schools of thought in this area and I've run stainless filters in a CCM I have and never had a problem. I love my 426 and I'm not taking any chances.

First they don't filter as well as the paper filter

I am not a filter expert, but the Scott reusable filter suggests on the package that it filters better than a paper filter. Dunno, maybe they lie. They use 35 micron stainless mesh. Supposedly paper can get down to 10 microns, but paper does not have the "holes" in it controlled like a woven mesh and can pssibly have much bigger holes in it across it's surface. That was how it was explained to me. Food for thought.

i've been using the 02 426 filter and cleaning it every 3rd change,and after 3 cleanings buying a new one, now it probly doesn't filter as well as paper but you get a higher flow rate and if you change oil after every ride(its only a little more than a qt.)its not a problem. now there are some people who say that the 426 filter is a different size and won't work,they are wrong! the crap stuck to filter is evidence enough for me that it works. and it does'nt get sqaushed either as some people have stated,the only reason i change it after 3 cleanings is to make sure the rubber does'nt get damaged. you probly could use it many more than 3 times. ?

Its difficult to clean an oil filter completely.

Thats why I don't use them.

But people do and get good results with them. Its more important to change your oil often.

I figure I have 6,000 invested in my bike, oil filters are not where I want to take chances.

Yamaha parts prices are HIGH.

Quote "the 02 426 filter is wire mesh and you can see clear through it" unquote, which is exactly why I'm doing the opposite of you - using the paper instead of the screen type for reasons (correct or incorrect) stated in a couple of posts above.

And you are right, the filters are interchangeable as I'm using the 450 paper filter in my 400 and it fits just fine without any distortion.