HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simch

Creaking "headset" noise cured!!

5 posts in this topic

My WR is about 3 months old and has 500 miles on it, most off road.

From new I have noticed an occasional creaking from the steering/bars,only at light loads, eg manoeveuring around the garage etc. I posted here abut it and was advised to grease the headset.

Well, came to do that today, and decided to do so I would strip the whole front end out. I undid the bottom fork clamp, then the top clamp in the clutch side, then......&%$#@!....the clamp bolts on the throttle side were loose!! Not just "not torqued", actually loose!!!

So tightened them up, and all the others and went out for a quick ride, no creaking noise now!

I am amazed that these bolts if loose from new have not vibrated out. If they weren't loose from new, how did they get so?? :thumbsup:

Anyway problem solved. I will be stripping the headset down soon anyway, as advised here, but its at least encouraging that the bearings etc should be OK when I do.

hi

they should be torqued to the specification (23Nm upper, 20Nm lower) and if they still tend to get loose, use loctite

Yeah, will keep my eye on them now. I just did them all "damn tight with a ring spanner" yesterday! Loctite is a good idea.

Yeah, will keep my eye on them now. I just did them all "damn tight with a ring spanner" yesterday! Loctite is a good idea.

Be careful applying too much free-hand torque to the lower triple clamp bolts... they will compress the forktubes and your inner fork tubes will bind in their stroke...

Cheers,

David

BTW, did the headstem get greased anyway? :thumbsup::devil: