Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quik426

Tire pressure question

9 posts in this topic

I'm curious of what kind of tire pressures that everyone runs in various conditions?? This weekends racing will be pretty muddy....what kind of pressures should I run in the front and rear?? I run Maxxis IT's on the rear and....either a 756 or the stock 739 on the front.

any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Quik :thumbsup:

Does that mean....when it's slick and muddy, you should lower your pressures?? I usually run about 16psi in the tires when it's tacky but dries out as the day goes on.

Is there a general rule or just a "seat of your pants" feel??

It really depends on a few variables, terrain, weather, how hot and such

One thing I learned is to keep an eye on the rim and where the tire meets the rim. when your tire pressure is perfect you will see a very thin shinny ring all the way around the rim just as it meets the tire.

Here is a link to some good info

Tire Pressure

Thanks John,

I read through all the info.....very helpful info that covers a gammut of scenario's..

thanks for the input!!

It really depends on a few variables, terrain, weather, how hot and such

One thing I learned is to keep an eye on the rim and where the tire meets the rim. when your tire pressure is perfect you will see a very thin shinny ring all the way around the rim just as it meets the tire.

Here is a link to some good info

Tire Pressure

yes, thank you for the article...i've been a little neglectful in the tire deparment....thanks!

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/readridingtips.asp?id=419

I don't know how much I'll like the 739 for this weekend but if you look at the latest AMA magazine, Ricky is running 739 through the rut..... I know the track that I will be going to will have a few areas of mud holes but the rest of the track is mixed with a few corners that rut pretty bad. Just trying to figure out why the pros run certain tires..... and the pressures that they may be running. I do admit that when I have a "fresh" 756....It's awesome!!! but on some of the hard pack that I encounter, I don't really like the 756.

I try an be concious of the temp changes for the forks and tires....but I'm certain that I'm missing a few set-ups along the way.....

thanks for your input.......I'm gonna give the Maxxis IT front a try here in the very near future.....Probably at Red Bud!!

I rode today in nasty mud. My 739 front tire made me feel like I was on ice. The back tire wasn't as bad. 756's wear out very quickly.

When I ride in rocks I run 15 psi, most any where else 13.