HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecirque

Help..Easiest way to add a DMV approved Horn?

8 posts in this topic

Without touching bikes electical, can someone tell me the easiest way to add a horn to my XR600R? I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical so I need someone to spell it out for me. Anyone? pictures are good.

section 27000 of the CA vehicle code states,

(a) Every motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn which emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

you may be able to get by with mounting one of the fog type air horns, I don't know of anybody that checks for an operable horn though

It helps to know which state you live in.

The laws vary greatly, which affects what you need to install.

I've been passing inspection w/ a little disposable sports air horn. 3 or so inches long and maybe 1" in dia from Walmart. I tie wrap it to my bars and have been passing inspection like that in Va for several years. It's real loud, much louder than my street bike electric horn.

As stated, it depends on what State you are in. Arizona no longer accepts the "squeeze" type. I used the 9-volt, battery operated (as shown in the previous link). It, as mentioned, is what the Bicycle Police use...so, it works for the Law (at least, here in AZ)...

Yeah,

According to UTAH law....."it must be audible". That's about the extent of the law. Leaves a lot to interpretation. I just want a working horn that I can get someone's attention with when I'm balled up in the bushes with broken ribs and can't scream for help, because the XR6 didn't quite slow down for the corner. Know what I mean?

...get someone's attention with when I'm balled up in the bushes with broken ribs and can't scream for help...

Some places out there maybe a flare gun'd be better ? :thumbsup: