Going from a 426 to a CR250?

It is basically going to come down to what type of riding you like and which bike suites you best. I have a buddy that went from a 426 to a 250 and loved his 250 more. I went from a '02 YZ250 to a '02 426 and love the 426 much more. Each has an area that is better than the other. On short tracks he kicks my butt and on bigger longer tracks and trails I kick his butt. Souns like you want the CR anyway. Go for it! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I finally did it. I found a guy with a cherry ( 15 hours max, still has stock rear tire) 2001 CR250 that was looking for a better trail bike (i.e 426 w/ z-start!). We made the trade and I think we are both extremely happy!

I took the CR to the track over the weekend and I couldn't be happier. The suspension, the handling and the weight made a big difference in my confidence. No matter how I went over the jump, I never felt like the bike was in control (as opposed to me!), like I did with the 426.

Yes, the power takes a bit to get used to, but man is it fun! Most of all, it turns on a dime, jumps like a dream.

Maybe one day, when I can afford a newer 4 stroke, I might go back, but for now, I love my CR. On a good note, you guys have another 426 lover in Michigan now!

Thanks for all of the input, and oh yea, here is a pic of my new ride!

01CR250.jpg

Joe

Very cool! Looks like you got a great bike out of your trade! Told ya you would be happier! ? A little advice... send your top end to Eric Gorr for a "Mo Better" porting job...makes a night and day difference in power delivery and quantity. My friend has the exact same bike as me(04 CR250) and he had his done a few weeks ago...i cant belive how much faster that bike is and how much harder it pulls...amazing to say the least. More power everywhere, pulls like a SOB all the way from the bottom with a very impressive overrev. Im sending mine off next week to have the same thing done....he does awesome work and is cheap. Gonna cost a little under 150 bucks plus whatever it costs me to ship it to them....return is free for military as is a 15% discount! :awww: Hopefully my knee will be better before the weather turns to crap! :devil:

I have heard about Eric's porting, maybe this winter. I am anxious to ride my buddies 03 for comparison. They say the 01 and older motor has more bottom end in stock condition, so that will be interesting to check out. I will keep you posted.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

The STOCK 04 YZ, and KX 250 i rode back to back before buying my CR offered no real advantages to me motor wise...the KX definetly had the best low end of the bunch and the YZ probably the best top, but the mid/top is where the CR shine in my book. I spun several laps on each bik and found that the YZ was way to stiffly sprung for me, and like my YZF, seemed to hinder my cornering ability. The build quality of them just didnt seem up to par in my eyes...the plastic seemed flimsy, the stock chain and bars are junk(the CRs come stock with renthals now), bottom end was no more powerful than the CR, and im not a fan of having graphics on the gas tank where as the CR they are only on the shrouds(i.e no more yellow graphics!)...sure, small problems, but if your spending 5 grand on a bike it better be what you want. I would have bought the KX if it wasnt for the fact that they wanted 5500 out the door and it was green ? ...great motor, good suspension, fit and finish were good and ergos seemed darn near perfect...but in the long run i was a sucker for the good looks of the CR. The aluminum frame, and simple design on the CR make working on it a breeze. I prefer the more rigid, solid feeling you get with the CR...their build quality are great, fit and finish are top notch, and they seem to hold resale value much more than the other 3 bike companies...look around...used CRs usually command more money vs YZs, KXs, RMs...there is a reason for that. Either way, i would shop around and find the bike that suits you...what fits me and my ridding style may not suit the next person.

LOL.

My first MX bike was a YZ426, which I hated and sold after a few months. It was too heavy, too hard to start, not fun to ride, and wore me out way too fast. Of course, it didn't help that I bought way too much bike for my skills at the time. After selling it, I swore off MX and went back to trail riding my DRZ400E for a couple of years.

After getting back into MX, I bought an '03 CRF450. MUCH better, couldn't find much to complain about ex. it also wore me out pretty quick. About a year ago, I added a CRF250R to the stable. After getting the susp. dialed in and piping/jetting it, it was a dream. I bought it for MX only and was going to start racing HS w/ the 450, but I had so much fun on the 250 (and was faster on it) that I sold the 450...wasn't doing any good gathering any dust in my garage!

By now you can prob. tell I'm a thumper kind of guy...have been since I started riding dirt in '01. Well, the '05 YZ250 made me reconsider, and I'm sure glad I did! It feels lighter than the CRF250, and has CRF450-like power. It was a difficult adjustment, but a FWW, suspension tuning, and 756's made a world of difference.

I just sold my CRF250 yesterday, so it's 2 smoking only for me now! The YZ is the ideal blend for me...light weight and flickable, but w/ all the power you could use. It's a more demanding/tiring ride than the CRF250 was, but less than the CRF450, and maint. is much easier.

Re: the post comparing Honda and Yamaha, I've been a Honda guy for ages (street bikes too), but Yamaha is way ahead w/ 2 strokes...their engines don't compare IMO. Also, the Yamaha now has an alum. frame (w/ a design that doesn't hinder access to the engine carb like the Honda's twin spar design), Renthals stock, and Honda-like fasteners around the gas tank/shrouds.

2 strokes aren't for everyone, but I'm glad I overcame my hatred of them and gave one another chance!

My first MX bike was a YZ426, which I hated and sold after a few months. It was too heavy, too hard to start, not fun to ride, and wore me out way too fast. Of course, it didn't help that I bought way too much bike for my skills at the time. After selling it, I swore off MX and went back to trail riding my DRZ400E for a couple of years.

why Yam went to the Aluminum frame is somthing I dont understand its the weakpoint (well the biggest) of handas

(But hey its cool looking). Yamaha tryed and ran a GP bike with a aluminum fram and ditched it when they found it was to ridged and basicly sucked for handling on a off road bike. I guess i just never got into the COOL bike line of thought. And dont get me wrong the CR is OK bike its just a back packer, unless you have HRC with ya. ?

After getting back into MX, I bought an '03 CRF450. MUCH better, couldn't find much to complain about ex. it also wore me out pretty quick. About a year ago, I added a CRF250R to the stable. After getting the susp. dialed in and piping/jetting it, it was a dream. I bought it for MX only and was going to start racing HS w/ the 450, but I had so much fun on the 250 (and was faster on it) that I sold the 450...wasn't doing any good gathering any dust in my garage!

By now you can prob. tell I'm a thumper kind of guy...have been since I started riding dirt in '01. Well, the '05 YZ250 made me reconsider, and I'm sure glad I did! It feels lighter than the CRF250, and has CRF450-like power. It was a difficult adjustment, but a FWW, suspension tuning, and 756's made a world of difference.

I just sold my CRF250 yesterday, so it's 2 smoking only for me now! The YZ is the ideal blend for me...light weight and flickable, but w/ all the power you could use. It's a more demanding/tiring ride than the CRF250 was, but less than the CRF450, and maint. is much easier.

Re: the post comparing Honda and Yamaha, I've been a Honda guy for ages (street bikes too), but Yamaha is way ahead w/ 2 strokes...their engines don't compare IMO. Also, the Yamaha now has an alum. frame (w/ a design that doesn't hinder access to the engine carb like the Honda's twin spar design), Renthals stock, and Honda-like fasteners around the gas tank/shrouds.

2 strokes aren't for everyone, but I'm glad I overcame my hatred of them and gave one another chance!