HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOOLPE

nx650

7 posts in this topic

It's essentially the same as an XR650L motor so it will bolt into the XR600 chassis. The problem is getting it to start once its in there. You'll either have to machine or replace the right case cover and get all the necessary parts to convert it to kick-start (big PITA IMO) OR find a mounting location for a battery large enough to crank the starter motor and re-setup the DC charging & starting systems with the correct rectifier/regulator & switches (another big PITA.) If you've got the time, money, & skills then I'd say go for it. :thumbsup:

The problem is getting it to start once its in there. You'll either have to machine or replace the right case cover and get all the necessary parts to convert it to kick-start (big PITA IMO) OR find a mounting location for a battery large enough to crank the starter motor and re-setup the DC charging & starting systems with the correct rectifier/regulator & switches (another big PITA.)

Didn't the '89 NX650 come with both electric and kick start - I know my '88 has both (although no decompression lever), and I'm pretty sure that the '89 still had a kicker.

Didn't the '89 NX650 come with both electric and kick start - I know my '88 has both (although no decompression lever), and I'm pretty sure that the '89 still had a kicker.

Perhaps the non-USA models were different. Look at the photo in the ebay ad - no kickstart shaft.